Wifi not working properly

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
Adam911

Re: Wifi not working properly

Post by Adam911 »

Hi, sure I will do that. OBSS Coexistence is already disabled though. But I will try a different channel.

I will report the results tomorrow as this issue is not something that happens instantly but over time.

Thanks!
Adam911

Post by Adam911 »

Hi, an update.

So all was working fine until just now, and 5GHZ wifi is fully down on every device, cannot reconnect. 2Ghz as well as ethernet connection still works. I also cannot enter the web interface, it just doesn't load at all. This seems to be pure random. (After I restarted the router all back to normal)

Can you please try to get the engerineers to look further into this? I know it's hard to narrow down the issue when it's so random and cannot replicate easy but there is something definietely wrong with the 5GHz wifi still. I really don't want to switch to another router as Billion is the only one that lets me adjust SNR, however the 5Ghz wifi dying is a dealbreaker sadly :(

Thank you
Adam911

Post by Adam911 »

Okay so it just happened again. Since last post I restarted the router and all was working fine and just now it died again, exactly the same. Web interface fully down, cant access it, it's just perma loading, 5Ghz down on every device, 2Ghz and Ethernet connections working fine.

It's a reoccuring issue. Happens randomly, don't know what the trigger is - if any, but it is something to do with the 5Ghz wifi.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Adam911 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:34 pm Okay so it just happened again. Since last post I restarted the router and all was working fine and just now it died again, exactly the same. Web interface fully down, cant access it, it's just perma loading, 5Ghz down on every device, 2Ghz and Ethernet connections working fine.

It's a reoccuring issue. Happens randomly, don't know what the trigger is - if any, but it is something to do with the 5Ghz wifi.
I've updated our engineers, once I get further feedback on how to proceed I will contact you.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

billion_fan wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:45 am
Adam911 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:34 pm Okay so it just happened again. Since last post I restarted the router and all was working fine and just now it died again, exactly the same. Web interface fully down, cant access it, it's just perma loading, 5Ghz down on every device, 2Ghz and Ethernet connections working fine.

I've updated our engineers, once I get further feedback on how to proceed I will contact you.
Hi adam can you submit a ticket on the following link http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/inde ... ets/Submit and send us a copy of your config file also, with admin password set back to admin (our need to investigate this issue further with your config)
Adam91x

Post by Adam91x »

Hi sorry, had to make new account, this forum is insanely buggy, I tried to reset my password so many times and the password given on email just never worked...

Anyway back to the router issue, it is still present, every day, and it's actually driving me insane. Sorry for lack of updates I haven't had much time. I will later today submit my config, however it is going to be difficult to test this bug because it's just random...Wifi can be working fine all day, then I wake up the next day, and 5Ghz fully down, and interface fully frozen and need restart(internet still works on ethernet and 2ghz however). It's a daily thing, the only thing that I really have to go on is that it happens mostly when I wake up but not always. Sometimes it can happen after let's say 5-10 hours.

I was even looking for a newer billion router to buy but then again I imagine they are all built on the same software, so if this router has 5Ghz QoS issues, I imagine the newer models will have it too...(Even on Amazon I see some people complaining about 5Ghz issues).

Anyway I will submit my config later today(or in max 2 days) in hopes that this can be resolved.

Thank you.
Adam91x

Post by Adam91x »

I have submited my config, ticket ID: #XZE-761-78131

I hope this can be fixed please.

For now I decided to switch to modem + router seperate devices - Netgear D6400 in modem bridge(BCM63168 which seems to give me slightly higher ping than the 8800's chipset) and ASUS ROG GT-AC2900 as the router with bandwitch limiter so pretty much same QoS idea as billion router has. So far this setup works, but it just feels so unnessesary...

I would still have use for the 8800 AXL R2 if it gets fixed, I can set it up at another place if the QoS issue gets resolved. Also high chance this issue would occur in other billion devices, I mean it's not like most people buy these routes for the QoS (which is actually great if it worked).

Thanks.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Adam91x wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:21 pm I have submited my config, ticket ID: #XZE-761-78131

For now I decided to switch to modem + router seperate devices - Netgear D6400 in modem bridge(BCM63168 which seems to give me slightly higher ping than the 8800's chipset) and ASUS ROG GT-AC2900 as the router with bandwitch limiter so pretty much same QoS idea as billion router has. So far this setup works, but it just feels so unnessesary...

I would still have use for the 8800 AXL R2 if it gets fixed, I can set it up at another place if the QoS issue gets resolved. Also high chance this issue would occur in other billion devices, I mean it's not like most people buy these routes for the QoS (which is actually great if it worked).

Thanks.
Issue has been escalated
kmr1962

Post by kmr1962 »

Adam91x wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:21 pm I have submited my config, ticket ID: #XZE-761-78131

Thanks.
Not sure if this may help while waiting on a proper fix (or help with diagnostics)

But I had the same issue with the web interface becoming unresponsive almost daily
I found that disabling logging completely on the router resolved that issue (not ideal from a diagnostics perspective)
Which indicates to me that it may be a memory leak causing that issue

Also, I found the 5ghz band to be more stable if I manually set the channel (I chose 40/80) rather than "auto" select
also using different SSID's for 2.5 & 5ghz is more stable.

Edit
Should have said, I am using firmware 2.52.d15t1
And my router has currently been "up" with no issues for 6 days (had a power cut last week)
Adam91x

Post by Adam91x »

kmr1962 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:57 am

Thanks.
Not sure if this may help while waiting on a proper fix (or help with diagnostics)

But I had the same issue with the web interface becoming unresponsive almost daily
I found that disabling logging completely on the router resolved that issue (not ideal from a diagnostics perspective)
Which indicates to me that it may be a memory leak causing that issue

Also, I found the 5ghz band to be more stable if I manually set the channel (I chose 40/80) rather than "auto" select
also using different SSID's for 2.5 & 5ghz is more stable.

Edit
Should have said, I am using firmware 2.52.d15t1
And my router has currently been "up" with no issues for 6 days (had a power cut last week)

I've tried all of those before none make a difference. Also all of the issues I had ONLY occured with QoS set the way I have. Without QoS there was never any issue with anything.