SKY Fiber 8200n Hardware clarification

Discussions for BiPAC 8200 series VDSL modem /router: 8200AXL, 8206AZ, 8200M, 8200N
swal87

SKY Fiber 8200n Hardware clarification

Post by swal87 »

I am extremely interested in purchasing a 8200n for the Sky Fiber service.

My question is, with the 8200n do I need to still use the BT Openreach ECI modem supplied alongside the Billion router or will this unit replace both the Sky router and the BT Modem with a single product?

I have searched high and low and believe that I can replace both with this product but need clarification (although at present there are connectivity issues and low sync rates).

I have an extremely poor service at present as the connection has dropped from 34000 to 10000 and ultimately want to check out my SNR values etc...
billion_fan

Re: SKY Fiber 8200n Hardware clarification

Post by billion_fan »

Hi

Yes you can use the 8200N as a one box solution.

You will need firmware Billion_UK 8200N 1.06a.dd2.dt1.afw for Sky MER authentication.

More information on the topic and guide written by simonmpoulton for a Sky fibre connection please click on the link below

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=433&start=10
swal87

Post by swal87 »

Thank you.

Is the slow Sync speed and issue with Billion firmware or the DSLAM kit. I have an ECI modem at present and was told we have an ECI DSLAM.

The only reason i ask is that the last update comment on the other threads says its a known issue. but that was about 4 weeks ago.
Robert Webber

Post by Robert Webber »

They have told that the firmware is in its beta stage and it is intended for testing purposes only. Is it advisable to install the firmware? I mean, is it safe to install the firmware in the device? What do you think?

Post by jwilalex1971 »

Hi,

New member here, I currently own a 7800N which has been fantastic on ultimate broadband, but have just upgraded to fibre and sky have given me the black sr102 all in one. There was no need for an engineers to visit the house.

My main question is can I just replace the 102 with the 8200n and once installed the mentioned firmware and settings all will be good?

The wifi on the sr102 sucks and maxed out at 150mb.

John
simon194

Post by simon194 »

I haven't visited the forum for a while but being one of the guinea pigs along with Simon Poulton for the ECI issues I can confirm that the latest firmware is OK and works on Sky but be aware that it syncs around 10-15 Mbps lower than the Openreach modem on an up to 80 Mbps connection. Apparently it's fine on Huawei kit.

Update: When I posted this I wasn't aware of the 1.06a.dt9 firmware. This is much better on ECI kit with only around a 5 Mbps drop in downstream sync although upstream is still well down on my line at 13 Mbps where the Openreach modem sync at 20 Mbps. If you use QoS they do not use this firmware unless you are happy sub-1 Mbps download speeds.

I have the firmware, 1.06a.dt11, that fixes the QoS problem but I haven't tested it using VDSL yet.
Collegeroad

Post by Collegeroad »

I get issue where the connections goes for lets say under a minute and the router log shows nothing and all the lights on the router are green, I get this quite often during the day everyday the worse on is from Photobucket and they say no issues at their end, when this happens all I'm doing is surfing the web and refreshing pages any ideas I do have 1.06a.dt11 firmware and still on Sky Fibre.

Peter