How to configure for Sky Broadband

Discussions about ISPs, e.g. setting
DanK10

How to configure for Sky Broadband

Post by DanK10 »

Hello All,

Just got my 7800(N) and I trying to set it up with my Sky Broadband (I've used it for years and it came with an SSID, Network key and channel) via PPPoA but this doesn't work. Do I have to go down the MER route?, are there some other configurations I need? unfortunately for some reason I cannot gain acces to the web bassed gui on my netgear router (password malfunction).

I am not going to give up my new router, so in a worst case scenario, what ISP is recommended for the 7800(N)

Apologies I am a complete beginner at this

Best

Dan
AndyCap

Re: How to configure for Sky Broadband

Post by AndyCap »

You need your user name and password from you old sky router.

They are hidden from users but can be retrieved using software/web page. One of the old web pages went off line recently, have a look around the link below and I am sure you will find a solution.

Extracting Sky Router passwords - skyuser.co.uk

The User/Pass never changes so if you know what it was it should be the same and you may be able to get it from the router, try exporting the cfg file (save sttings) from the Netgear and then open it with notepad, look through the text for User name/Password. I am not sure if that works though with the Sky router.

As for using MER, I don't think that will work as it seems Sky is using it's own MER system.
DanK10

Post by DanK10 »

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the info I used the link to find the sky username and password but unfortunately it still failed to connect.

The settings on my Billion router were

Connect Mode ADSL (Current Main Port: ADSL)
Protocol PPPoA (RFC2364, PPP over AAL5)
VPI /VCI 0 / 38
Username ************@skydsl
Password ***************
IP Address Obtain an IP Address Automatically
Authentication Protocol Auto
IP Address 0.0.0.0
Obtain DNS Automatically Enable
Primary DNS 90.207.238.97/ Secondary DNS 90.207.238.99 /
MTU 1492

(Though I also tried combinations putting a static ISP in and also primary/secondry DNS as 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4)

When I looked at the status on my Netgear router here is what I see - any help would be great, as I am a bit stumped - Thanks Dan

Firmware Version V2.02.44
ADSL Port

MAC Address 00:1b:2f:9e:f0:67
IP Address 90.197.45.70
Network Type PPPoA
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255
Gateway IP Address 87.87.248.139
AndyCap

Post by AndyCap »

[QUOTE=simon194]Is your Sky router connecting using PPPoA or MER?

If it's MER then it may not be possible to use PPPoA as Sky are gradually phasing it out. My spare Netgear router that I keep set up as a backup no longer connects.[/QUOTE]

www.skyuser.co.uk
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

7800N now supports Sky with beta firmware. Please check 7800N section on forum.
borislavbaros

Post by borislavbaros »

Are they any step which show us how we can configure for Sky Broadband..I have problems with my Sky WiFi router.. If I do this,how do I configure it to work with Sky broadband..??
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

borislavbaros wrote:Are they any step which show us how we can configure for Sky Broadband..I have problems with my Sky WiFi router.. If I do this,how do I configure it to work with Sky broadband..??
What model are you looking to purhcase?? 7800N, 7800DXL etc
andrewgarnel

Post by andrewgarnel »

The sky routers are pre configured before its sent out. Click on the icon in the bottom right corner saying 'wireless network are avilable' and then click connect, you will be asked for a network key, this can be found on the sticker of the router which is 8 characters long.
davidhawk

Post by davidhawk »

For your better knowledge, I want to tell you that Sky routers are already configured before they are sent to market for sale. Therefore, you have to click on the icon at the right corner of the bottom where you find the wording “WIRELESS NETWORK ARE AVAILABLE” and there you have to click for connection. After that, you will be asked for a network key, which you will find on the sticker and it is eight correctors long. Hope this will solve your problem. -
anajames

Post by anajames »

davidhawk wrote:For your better knowledge, I want to tell you that Sky routers are already configured before they are sent to market for sale. Therefore, you have to click on the icon at the right corner of the bottom where you find the wording “WIRELESS NETWORK ARE AVAILABLE” and there you have to click for connection. After that, you will be asked for a network key, which you will find on the sticker and it is eight correctors long. Hope this will solve your problem. -
This i did not know that the routers are already configured.