Router or Modem with Google mesh WiFi to Replace Sky Q Router?

Discussions about ISPs, e.g. setting
Robmacca1

Router or Modem with Google mesh WiFi to Replace Sky Q Router?

Post by Robmacca1 »

Hi. I'm looking for either a router or a modem to replace my Sky Q fibre router and use it in conjunction with my Google mesh Wifi setup.

Has anyone used the Google system with a Billion router before and did it all play nicely? I'm struggling with the Sky router as you can't put it into modem only mode, so I think i'm having Double NAT issues.

If someone could point me into the right direction for which products to look at it would be greatly appreciated.
billion_fan

Re: Router or Modem with Google mesh WiFi to Replace Sky Q Router?

Post by billion_fan »

Robmacca1 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:05 pm Hi. I'm looking for either a router or a modem to replace my Sky Q fibre router and use it in conjunction with my Google mesh Wifi setup.

Has anyone used the Google system with a Billion router before and did it all play nicely? I'm struggling with the Sky router as you can't put it into modem only mode, so I think i'm having Double NAT issues.

If someone could point me into the right direction for which products to look at it would be greatly appreciated.
I haven't got much experience with google mesh, but I do know our 8800 series and 8900 series can work in modem only mode, you just need to make sure the google mesh supports a IPOE WAN connection with Option 61 Client ID support (Sky's authentication method)
Robmacca1

Re: Router or Modem with Google mesh WiFi to Replace Sky Q Router?

Post by Robmacca1 »

Well this is dead in the water already. A quick 20 mins of research and the Google WiFi doesn’t support Option 61 :cry:

Thanks for your help anyway. I’m out of contract with Sky now, so I might look at getting a different ISP and still going ahead with the Billion router (in modem mode) and the Google WiFi running off that.

I’m guessing most fibre broadband is the same from the cabinets? Just the level of support from the ISP’s will be where you get what you pay for, I imagine anyway. I’ve always been with Sky as it’s easy to just have the one bill for everything.