Sky Fibre - wanting replacement for Sky SR102

Discussions about ISPs, e.g. setting
sfitzp4573

Sky Fibre - wanting replacement for Sky SR102

Post by sfitzp4573 »

Hello

I'm on Sky Fibre and am wanting to replace the existing Sky SR102 router with a Billion device that is an all-in-one solution (i.e. not an Echolife modem connected to the old previous Billion 7800DXL that I had until recently). I've seen talk on this forum of a new 8900-series device that I think might be ok, but I'd like your comments because the details as to what the new model name is are a bit sketchy.

The best that I can see at the moment is 'Billion BIPAC 8900X R2 Triple-WAN ADSL2+/Fibre Broadband Router w/ VPN, 3G/4G LTE Support' at http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/product ... c-8900x-r2

I don't want to choose the wrong model/spec.

Many thanks

Simon.
billion_fan

Re: Sky Fibre - wanting replacement for Sky SR102

Post by billion_fan »

This is the top model

https://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/produc ... 00ax-2400/

I'm testing it at home at the moment, seems to working really well with Virgin 200Mbps connection, here is a screen shot from my speed test in the same room connecting via AC wireless on my Samsung note 3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sfitzp4573

Post by sfitzp4573 »

Thanks, billion_fan, that's perfect. I'll be ordering one when they come on sale.
sfitzp4573

Post by sfitzp4573 »

I bought one a few weeks ago, and had a couple of setup issues, but all is ok now. I originally followed the UK Quick Start Guide, but kept having problems (authentication?). Anyway, I raised a support ticket, and it was suggested that I do a manual setup (see instructions below). I am now very happy! Thanks to the UK Billion Support team for their speedy replies & assistance.

Instructions for manual setup:
1. Reset the unit back to factory default settings
2. Login to the router
3. Click on 'Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Service'
4. Click on the 'Edit' button for the PTM interface
5, Change the 'Type' to 'IP Over Ethernet'
6. Ensure the '802.1Q VLAN ID' is set to 101 and the '802.1P Priority' is set to '0'
7. In the 'Option 61 Client ID' enter your Sky username and '|' then your password eg username@skydsl|password
8. Click on 'Apply'
9. Wait a couple of minutes to see the internet LED turns 'Green' on the front of the router
10. If it doesn't please click on 'Status >> WAN' and send us a screen shot of this page

- END