Vodaphone Fibre Broadband

Jimlad

Vodaphone Fibre Broadband

Post by Jimlad »

I'm about to have Vodaphone fibre broadband installed. My question is: can I use my Billion 7800N instead of the supplied Vodaphone router and if I can, how do I set it up to accept the connection from the fibre distribution box?
Any help will be gratefully received.
billion_fan

Re: Vodaphone Fibre Broadband

Post by billion_fan »

Jimlad wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:37 am I'm about to have Vodaphone fibre broadband installed. My question is: can I use my Billion 7800N instead of the supplied Vodaphone router and if I can, how do I set it up to accept the connection from the fibre distribution box?
Any help will be gratefully received.
If you mean a FTTC (VDSL) connection, the 7800N does not have a VDSL modem built in, it only has a ADSL modem.

The other option will be if possible switch the Vodafone router to modem only mode, and connect your 7800N to that.

You would have to switch your WAN profile on the 7800N to use a Ethernet connection with PPPoE and your Vodafone username and password entered. (run through the quick start to setup a Ethernet >> PPPoE connection)
Jimlad

Post by Jimlad »

Thank you very much for the help. I think I should wait for the installation to go ahead before i try to get into the Vodaphone router to find out if I can switch it to modem only mode.
Thanks again.
Jimlad

Post by Jimlad »

I've just found out that my installation will be an FTTP (to the premises). Is that significant and does it change anything with regard to using the 7800N?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Jimlad wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:11 am I've just found out that my installation will be an FTTP (to the premises). Is that significant and does it change anything with regard to using the 7800N?
It will be the same setup, but you can disconnect the router they provide and connect the 7800N to directly to the fibre modem they install.

(please note the 7800N EWAN port is limited to 100mbps)
Jimlad

Post by Jimlad »

I've now got the service installed and using the settings suggested, my Billion router is now doing its stuff at 104Mbps. One small bit of information that may be useful to others in this position though. I had tested that the broadband was working by setting it up through through supplied Vodafone router and all was well. On connecting the WAN lead from the ONT to the Billion router with the settings already applied however, it took twenty minutes for the internet pilot light to illuminate on the Billion's front panel. I was beginning to think it just wasn't going to work but with no further intervention from me it just started. No idea why it took so long or what it was doing all that time but it did work in the end. Something to bear in mind if anyone else has a similar situation.
Thanks go to billion_fan for the help on this. It is much appreciated.