How to open TCP/UDP ports for Drobo connectivity?

Wendelius

How to open TCP/UDP ports for Drobo connectivity?

Post by Wendelius »

Hi,

I upgraded from a Netgear to a Billion 7800N last week and I love the router. It's been rock solid, fast and has great range. Ever since then, I can't see my Drobo FS (a drive rack which keeps your data safer) back up device anymore though. Basically, the Drobo was connected to my router through Ethernet cable. I've done the same on the Billion 7800N, the cable going into one of the ports 1-4 (I tried a few). I can see the network light blinking on the drive, so I know it's "talking" to the router. However, the drive is not visible anymore from any machine.

I wrote to Drobo support and they replied with this link: http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/257
Which TCP/UDP ports need to be open on a firewall for my Drobo FS or DroboShare?

Drobo FS and DroboShare both use SMB over TCP, so you need port 445 open.

If you want Drobo Dashboard to be able to connect through a firewall (to communicate with Drobo FS, DroboShare or DroboPro using iSCSI), the easiest way is to put Drobo Dashboard in the firewalls' allowed-programs list.

If your firewall doesn’t offer a feature with an allowed-programs list, you need to open ports 5000 and 1024-65536. Drobo Dashboard connects to port 5000 and then randomly picks a port in the range for broadcasting.
Drobo Dashboard is already allowed on my PC's firewall. So that's not the issue. I guess that leaves the firewall on the Billion? Could you guide me on what to enter where to apply those changes? The interface is quite different from the Netgear and I'm a bit at a loss.

Many thanks in advance.

Wendelius
billion_fan

Re: How to open TCP/UDP ports for Drobo connectivity?

Post by billion_fan »

You can open the ports via the Virtual Server found under 'advanced >> configuration >> virtual server >> port mapping.

Or you can try and DMZ your Drobo FS which will open all ports to the internet.

Also check the IP address assigned to the Drobo FS, to make sure it is in the correct range of the Billion router (192.168.1.x)

You can also check the DHCP table or ARP table and see if your Drobo FS mac address is listed there, then you will know the IP address of the Drobo FS.

I hope this helps.
sjypharm

Post by sjypharm »

I think it is an IP address issue. Does your Drobo have a fixed IP address and if so is it outside the IP address range the Billion uses for DHCP?
As far as I am aware connections between your machines via the LAN ports do not go via the firewall so port opening is only useful with connections to and from the Internet not your local network.
Wendelius

Post by Wendelius »

Thanks for the replies you 2. Much appreciated.

I had a crazy end of week and haven't had time to revisit the topic yet. But will try and do so tomorrow. I think it's quite possible that the Drobo has an address outside the range. But I'll certainly try opening the ports to see if it helps.

I'll update the thread when I know more.

Wendelius
Wendelius

Post by Wendelius »

Hi again,

Long time no write, but I'm finally getting time to look into this.

First of all, I checked the DHCP Server config screen which mentions it covers the 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199 range.

Then I went to the ARP Table and DHCP Table screens and took a look at the devices listed. The DHCP table lists about 5 devices which are all computers, tablets and phones correctly connected to the network. The ARP lists one more which I don't recognise on the WAN interface.

IP Address, MAC Address, Interface, Static ARP
87.194.32.1, 00:90:D0:63:FF:0D, WAN, No

But I get a feeling that might be a wireless bridge I have behind ny Av unit which I need to update for the new router.

In any case, neither lists any device with the same MAC address as my Drobo. What's really strange is that the Drobo worked fine before and that I have tried connecting it to the Billion router with 2 different ethernet cables (the ones I was using up until the router upgrade) and the one supplied with the router.

So I'm lost. Any idea what might explain it not appearing at all?

Surely, if the router doesn't see the device, opening ports is going to be a pointless exercise?

Many thanks again for your help,
Wendelius
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Not sure why the DHCP table is not listing the Drobo device, but have you tried to enable UPNP on your Drobo device?

Once enabled check the UPNP map, to see if it is opening ports using UPNP.
Wendelius

Post by Wendelius »

Doh! I'm an idiot!

Finally figured out what the issue was. I reconnected the Drobo to my old router, checked out the Drobo network settings from the dashboard and I was forcing it to use a fixed IP address instead of obtaining it automatically (because the old Netgear was prone to IP address conflicts). Obviously, those settings didn't mesh very well with the Billion router. :oops:

All fixed now.

Wendelius