ARP table issue

barbuduccle

ARP table issue

Post by barbuduccle »

Not sure if I am misunderstanding something...

I have a number of devices that are requesting an IP address via DHCP and I can see they have acquired an IP and I can connect to them from other machines on the LAN. However they neither appear in the ARP table nor the DHCP Table. The same occurs for devices on which I set a static IP address. Am I misunderstanding something or should all active devices on the network appear in the ARP table (and DHCP table if IP was assigned by DHCP server). I'm using firmware 1.06d.
Thanks.
billion_fan

Re: ARP table issue

Post by billion_fan »

I noticed you were on firmware 1.06d, did you upgrade the firmware on your device?

If you did, did you reset back to factory default settings? This is a must as the firmware has major upgrades.

It is also not recommended not to restore settings from previous firmware builds.
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

I am getting exactly the same thing.

I have an Epson printer assigned to a static IP and the only record of it having been connected has been in the log.

Prior to assigning the static IP it used to show up in the DHCP Table as Epson 169591 which is the Memory Card Reader and the IP that or an iphone would auto pick up when either of those was switched was 192.168.1.102

After I'd assigned the static IP, the DHCP Table then showed the card reader as Expired and whatever connections I'd been using - wireless and/or ethernet.

When I upgraded the f/w to 1.06d, the Factory Settings button was ticked by default so there was no error there.

The printer is an All in One and Printer, Epson Scan from the desktop and Scan to PC from the printer control panel all work fine. I haven't needed the card reader.

Before and after the static IP was assigned, if the printer is not switched on when I boot up the laptop, it presents the alert "Cannot connect to all Network Cards" and doesn't show when it is switched on first, so I know that it is still picking up Drive Z.

Thought that it not showing in the DHCP Table was strange, but perhaps just a foible of the 7800N and never gave it any more thought as it had no effect on any functions.
Last edited by Tomken on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
barbuduccle

Post by barbuduccle »

This is a brand new modem so already had 1.06d installed.

Strange thing happened today that the printer in question suddenly appeared in the DHCP table but still isn't present in the ARP table.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

If the printer is using DHCP then it will show in the DHCP table.

If the unit has a static IP set on the device then it should show in the ARP table.
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

billion_fan wrote:If the printer is using DHCP then it will show in the DHCP table.

If the unit has a static IP set on the device then it should show in the ARP table.
Prior to setting the static IP, it showed in the DHCP table - now it shows in neither except the System Log as a MAC address.