7800N VPN and Win10

Tomahawk

7800N VPN and Win10

Post by Tomahawk »

Hi all, I've been struggling with this problem for ages now. I have a 7800DXL at my home which I have set a up a VPN on, allowing me to access my home network when I'm at my parents. My parents however have the older 7800N, this I'm struggling to get the VPN set up on. I've followed all of the other threads on here but none of them seem to fix the issue.
I'm using the access point from my phone to connect my laptop to to double check that it is accessing the VPN.

It seems that lots of the advice I can find is quite old. I've tried it anyway but it doesn't seem to help for me. I'm using Windows 10. Does anyone have any advice to fix this problem?
billion_fan

Re: 7800N VPN and Win10

Post by billion_fan »

I think you have the 7800DX not the DXL as the DXL does not have a VPN on board.

1. First delete the PPTP Virtual server rule as this is not needed (you only need this if you have separate PPTP server connected the 7800DX)

2. Try following the attached guide to make sure your PPTP server is set up correctly http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/inde ... ptp-server

3. On your windows 7 machine try and change 'Data Encryption' to 'Require Encryption (disconnect if server declines)' on the client found under 'Security' for your VPN tunnel
Tomahawk

Re: 7800N VPN and Win10

Post by Tomahawk »

billion_fan wrote:I think you have the 7800DX not the DXL as the DXL does not have a VPN on board.

1. First delete the PPTP Virtual server rule as this is not needed (you only need this if you have separate PPTP server connected the 7800DX)

2. Try following the attached guide to make sure your PPTP server is set up correctly http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/inde ... ptp-server

3. On your windows 7 machine try and change 'Data Encryption' to 'Require Encryption (disconnect if server declines)' on the client found under 'Security' for your VPN tunnel
Hi billion fan. I think it was my phone causing the issue. I had followed that guide and completed all of the steps you said a dozen times but it would not work the other day. Today I used my fathers phone as the hotspot to test it and doing what you said worked. Not sure if its some restriction that my carrier puts on it but it seems to be working okay for now. I'll be visiting my brother today so I'll test it out on his computer.

Thanks. Tom.