Can I change default username (admin)?

acampbell

Can I change default username (admin)?

Post by acampbell »

Is there a way to change the Administrator username from "admin" to something else? (This is a 7800N.)
billion_fan

Re: Can I change default username (admin)?

Post by billion_fan »

acampbell wrote:Is there a way to change the Administrator username from "admin" to something else? (This is a 7800N.)
You can try making a backup of your config, make a copy of this config just in case, then edit the original config and change the 'admin' password, save the file and restore the file.

If something goes wrong, restore the copy of your config file
acampbell

Post by acampbell »

Thanks for your reply. This might work, but I was really wondering if there was an "official" method of doing this which I'd overlooked. Seemingly not. Evidently Billion doesn't think that changing the user name offers appreciable increase in security.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

acampbell wrote:Thanks for your reply. This might work, but I was really wondering if there was an "official" method of doing this which I'd overlooked. Seemingly not. Evidently Billion doesn't think that changing the user name offers appreciable increase in security.
Unfortunately you can't change the username from admin any other way
Albers

Post by Albers »

billiotn_fan wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:36 pm Thanks for your reply. This might work, but I was really wondering if there was an "official" method of doing this which I'd overlooked. Seemingly not. Evidently Billion doesn't think that changing the user name offers appreciable increase in security.

When I save the file it doesn't seem to remember the new password. It's like it keeps getting overwritten.
Last edited by Albers on Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.