7800N internet speed versus actual line speed.

WirelessMan

7800N internet speed versus actual line speed.

Post by WirelessMan »

Slightly disconcerting is the fact that all flavours of MS "Internet Connection" indicate 4.2 mbps whereas line speed is between 14 and 16.5 mbps depending on time of day. I've checked with various so-called "Line speed" sites and from downloads, especially iPlayer which was at 13.5 mbps this morning. Connection is PPoA from Eclipse.
It's not serious but just irritating.
billion_fan

Re: 7800N internet speed versus actual line speed.

Post by billion_fan »

WirelessMan wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:57 am Slightly disconcerting is the fact that all flavours of MS "Internet Connection" indicate 4.2 mbps whereas line speed is between 14 and 16.5 mbps depending on time of day. I've checked with various so-called "Line speed" sites and from downloads, especially iPlayer which was at 13.5 mbps this morning. Connection is PPoA from Eclipse.
It's not serious but just irritating.
Are you performing speeds tests from a wired connection to the router??
WirelessMan

Post by WirelessMan »

All checking via the ethernet but it's just the same via wireless, using XP Pro & Windows 10 mostly with a variety of ethernet & wireless devices.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

WirelessMan wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:43 pm All checking via the ethernet but it's just the same via wireless, using XP Pro & Windows 10 mostly with a variety of ethernet & wireless devices.
You might need to check with your ISP when the issue occurs, to see if there are any line issues, as it seems a intermittent issue at the moment, your line might be noisier at certain times during the day, which will cause the speeds to drop
WirelessMan

Post by WirelessMan »

It displays consistently at 4.2Mbps at any time of day, I could ask the ISP but for now I'll ignore it as the actual speed is good for here. I'm possibly expecting a router upgrade soon anyway so I'll see what happens.

Thanks for the replies.