Optimum Values for 7800N

cwog002

Optimum Values for 7800N

Post by cwog002 »

Just installed a Billion 7800N replacing a Vigor 2500V

Looking thru the manual it only describes where the settings are and does not discuss the optimum settings.

I have a simple home network of 3 machines plus printer using the 7800n what values should I use to give protection from "intruders"

Is NAT enabled by default - I have not been able to see any useful information on it in the User Manual.

Thanks for any help or pointers to other sources of information.
billion_fan

Re: Optimum Values for 7800N

Post by billion_fan »

NAT is enabled by default, you can check the settings under Advanced >> Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Profile via the web gui
cwog002

Post by cwog002 »

Thank you - members of other forums pointed me to Blocking WAN Ping and a couple of testing sites that tell me that my computer is now inviible.

Again Thanks.
JayKay

Post by JayKay »

cwog002 wrote:Thank you - members of other forums pointed me to Blocking WAN Ping and a couple of testing sites that tell me that my computer is now inviible. Again Thanks.
Please could you share that with us... how do you do it?
roseway

Post by roseway »

It's not necessarily a good idea to block the ping response. Path MTU Discovery uses ICMP Pings to discover the optimum MTU for a connection; if the ping response is blocked this won't work, and some sites may be unresponsive as a result.

This isn't a security issue - every time you go on the internet you advertise your IP address (it's included in the header of every message you send) so blocking the ping response doesn't add any security.
cyberpieman

Post by cyberpieman »

roseway wrote: Path MTU Discovery uses ICMP Pings to discover the optimum MTU for a connection; if the ping response is blocked this won't work, and some sites may be unresponsive as a result.
Would this affect a BT FTTC MODEM / VDSL connection from being able to realise proper speeds?
roseway

Post by roseway »

cyberpieman wrote:Would this affect a BT FTTC MODEM / VDSL connection from being able to realise proper speeds?
That depends on what you mean by 'realise proper speeds'. If the throughput speed is a lot less than the connection speed, then MTU could be an issue. You can read about it here: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/MTU.htm

But if the connection speed is lower than you expect, that's not connected with the MTU.
cyberpieman

Post by cyberpieman »

cheers
FTTC was only installed a couple of weeks ago, & finally stabilised at 2Mbps from the initial 30+ . ISP investigating, but attaching the BT MODEM directly to the PC appears to increase the throughput (albeit the line appears to be in training mode still).

The comment about suppressing WAN ping just rang a bell ( ;) )