QoS for BBC iPlayer

leeguv

QoS for BBC iPlayer

Post by leeguv »

I'm having occasionally buffering issues with the BBC iPlayer on the PS3 and wondering if setting QoS to favour iPlayer will resolve the problem? If so, how the heck do I figure out what to enter in the QoS section? I can't find a decent reference or even a manual for the 7800n anywhere. :(

Also, would enabling any of the following settings help?
  • WMM
  • Wireless Multicast Forwarding
Somebody at the thinkbroadband forum recommended changing Wifi channel width from 20/40MHZ down to 20MHZ, but it didn't make any obvious difference. In fact it *may* have made the signal more "bouncy" (drifting between 75% and 85%) so I reverted back to 20/40.
tinytim

Re: QoS for BBC iPlayer

Post by tinytim »

Not sure if it's relevant but when I connected my Ipad , which is "N" rated, to get the best wireless speed I had to use 20/40 and change the security to WPA/WPA2-PSK and the WPA Algorithms to AES.

Obviously I had to find the best channel as well using inSSider2 on my laptop.

If there are other users causing this problem then yes QoS could help by setting the priority of your IP address to High and everyone elses to Low. The downside of QoS is that you do lose a little of your overall bandwidth which may or may not be an issue.

A manual should be on your CD , otherwise download from here : http://www.billion.com/support/download ... anual.html
leeguv

Post by leeguv »

tinytim wrote:Not sure if it's relevant but when I connected my Ipad , which is "N" rated, to get the best wireless speed I had to use 20/40 and change the security to WPA/WPA2-PSK and the WPA Algorithms to AES.
It's already set-up that way on account of it being the most secure. ;) There's no problem with any other wireless device in the house (Android phones, another desktop PC, two laptops), and the computers get a solid 300Mbps signal.
tinytim wrote:If there are other users causing this problem then yes QoS could help by setting the priority of your IP address to High and everyone elses to Low. The downside of QoS is that you do lose a little of your overall bandwidth which may or may not be an issue.
That's a distinct possibility you see, but I just have no idea how to set it up.
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

Probably the best way to address this problem would be to raise a ticket with the tech support at http://billion.uk.com/esupport/ and they'll get back to you via e-mail.

I haven't seen any refs for the manual, but you could also include that in your query.

I didn't get a CD with mine or an Ethernet cable.
tinytim

Post by tinytim »

To set up QoS I think is quite simple.

On the QoS screen just enter some descriptive (like "My Priority Service") in Application and then the Rate Type should be Prioritization, Priority High for you and your IP address (from & to). Then Add

For the others do the same but Priority Low.

Ideally you could set you IP address outside of the range of the others & just have a blanket low priority range.