Hello to all and a couple of quick questions...

mojocvh

Hello to all and a couple of quick questions...

Post by mojocvh »

Hi Folks, just joined the forum and would like to ask a question or two if I may

I am on the BT ADSL max with about 6.5 showing on various internet speed tests.

Now I have only found out about the BT 3rd wire filter/i plate and have one on order to be fitted ASAP on delivery BUT would I be better to wait for any S/N improvements to be picked up and the system to be "adjusted" before setting up my 7800N?

OK

Last question :D

My reason for planning a router change is to try and get the best performance [10/100/1000 over 10/100] for streaming video. I know that 6 and a bit meg ain't much these days but there HAS been an incremental improvement in the other changes I have made, ie changing from 200m powerplugs to a dedicated cat 6 cable for the sat box, not s*y :lol: , and almost have it there, but any suggestions on maximising the 78800N's performance for one particular "output" will be more than welcome.

thanks for taking the time to read this,

all the best

Mo.
tinytim

Re: Hello to all and a couple of quick questions...

Post by tinytim »

On BT ADSL Max the highest you can sync at is 8120 kbps although I think the highest profile available is 7150kbps, so the best throughput you can possibly achieve is about 6.5meg.

I'd suggest going to BT's speedtest site which gives some good detail about your line. It's http://speedtester.bt.com/ .

Post back the full results please.

The iplate isolates the ring wire and can give you up to 2meg extra but I doubt it'll make much difference for you as you're already at the max speed but if/when BT upgrade the exchange to 21CN (20meg ADSL+2 capability) then the iplate would make much more sense.

One thing the 7800n is good for is holding connection on poor lines but yours would seem to be OK anyway.

The web site SamKnows can provide you with info about your exchange and who has equipment there and any upgrade plans. It's well worth a visit. This is for the exchange search - http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search . Post back your exchange code for reference.
mojocvh

Re: Hello to all and a couple of quick questions...

Post by mojocvh »

TT I'm just about on the max for the local system with a speed of around 6 meg so I'm not going to get anything that way, but I hoped that by moving to a 10/100/1000 router I would maximise the throughput of what I had.

Oh and the system is now sitting at only 3+ meg at the moment.

cheers

Mo.