BiPAC 7800N beta firmware for SKY (1483MER) NOW WORKING!

tinytim

Re: BiPAC 7800N beta firmware for SKY (1483MER) NOW WORKING!

Post by tinytim »

EmperorK wrote: And tinytim, what do you mean? I have Sky Fibre... am I doing something wrong? :/
Only that this is the Sky ADSL2+ MER thread, not the Sky Fibre thread.

Have you got the correct firmware for fibre?
bktyee

Post by bktyee »

I received my Bipac 7800N a couple of days ago and finally switched over from the old DG834GT today. So far so good, the wireless signal appear to be much stronger. I was on MER but am now connected using the latest 1.06g firmware on the 7800N.

I had the "DHCP Client in Progress..." initially but as soon as I entered my user ID and password (generated from http://www.cm9.net/skypass), I have connected without any issues. Early days yet, I will keep an eye on the router for the next few days to see if there are any issues.

I have noticed on the "WAN Statistics" screen that there is an unusually high number of dropped transmitted packets (136 in the space of 90 minutes) I am not sure at this stage what impact it has on my connection. Since it is the transmitted packets, I presume it will affect any upload I do? I tried to find out more about this property but have no luck so far. I would appreciate it if someone could provide an explanation or a link to any information that could explain in detail how the dropped packets could affect my ADSL performance.

It has only been half a day but in terms of download/upload speed, it doesn't appear to have made any major (positive or negative) difference .

On the DG834GT, I had to open the firewall and create services for my slingbox classic to be accessible from the internet, the 7800N appeared to have done this automatically. I just needed to reserve a static IP for the slingbox.

I liked being able to set up trusted mac addresses (wired as well as wireless) so only clients that I know of can connect.
bktyee

Post by bktyee »

Is anyone able to advise me regarding the dropped transmitted packets? I am still getting them but I have not noticed any deterioration in internet access.
Wireless access has definitely improved and much more stable. My old DG384GT is now used as a bridge and extending my wireless coverage.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

bktyee wrote:Is anyone able to advise me regarding the dropped transmitted packets? I am still getting them but I have not noticed any deterioration in internet access.
Wireless access has definitely improved and much more stable. My old DG384GT is now used as a bridge and extending my wireless coverage.

If you are not noticing any reduction in speeds, I would worry about it.

You can revert to this discussion below
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=589

The last post by Philip_L in particular
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

billion_fan wrote:Hi Guys

We need some help from customers who are stuck in DHCP CLIENT IN PROGRESS, we need you to help debug the issue using wireshark.

Here are the steps to help us capture 2 sets debugging info

A. WAN Profile – Pure Bridge

Please kindly follow below step and send us the capture packet:

1. Use 7800N Firmware ver. 1.06g

2. Set up WAN Profile to Protocol “Pure Bridge”

3. Customer PC (Windows/Linux) must connect to 7800N LAN port and start sniffer.

B. WAN Profile – MPoA

Please kindly follow below step and send us the capture packet:

1. Use 7800N Firmware ver. 1.06g

2. Set up WAN Profile to Protocol “MPoA” and insert value in ClientID

3. Customer PC (Windows/Linux) must connect to 7800N LAN port and start sniffer.

Once captured please submit a ticket on http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport and put the title as SKY MER debug capture, I will look out for it and send it over to our engineers ASAP

If the file is too large, please submit a ticket anyway and we should be able to provide your with a FTP link to upload your captures.

Just like to say, thanks in advance, and hopefully we can get passed this issue with the help of our forum friends.
hi. do we still need to submit wireshark logs if we are stuck in the DHCP CLIENT IN PROGRESS status ? i've been sent 3 sky routers over the years and while i can use all their user/pass to connect from my 7800 over ppoa, they all hang when trying to use mpoa. i've even changed the mac address using the hidden /mac.html screen to no avail. the sky routers use mer if i connect them so i know the line is enabled. i can collect the logs if required, just wanted to check this was still how the issue was being diagnosed. cheers.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Have you tried the following?

1. Login to the router web configuration page
2. Click on 'WAN' on the left hand side (Basic Menu)
3. Change the 'Protocol' to 'MPOA'
4. Change the 'Encap Method' to VC-MUX
5. Change the VPI to 0 and VCI to 40
6. In the 'Client ID section' enter your Sky username and password (normally extracted from your Sky router) example username@skydsl|password, be sure to use "|" inbetween your username and password'
7. Click on 'Apply'
8. Let the router save and reboot and then check the status page.

Thanks
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

many thanks for the reply. i thought it was pppoa and vc-mux or mpoa and llc-snap-bridging. changed it to mpoa and vc-mux and the connection is up and running. as a matter of interest (apologies if this has been asked before), is it possible to manually enable/disable the wan profiles or will the router try and bring up every profile defined ? i'd like to have both a pppoa and a mpoa profile defined (just in case) but only want to enable one at a time. cheers.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Carrot Cruncher wrote:many thanks for the reply. i thought it was pppoa and vc-mux or mpoa and llc-snap-bridging. changed it to mpoa and vc-mux and the connection is up and running. as a matter of interest (apologies if this has been asked before), is it possible to manually enable/disable the wan profiles or will the router try and bring up every profile defined ? i'd like to have both a pppoa and a mpoa profile defined (just in case) but only want to enable one at a time. cheers.
I don't think you can do that, I would suggest making a back of the config while working with MER and another backup once working with PPPOA, so if needed you can switch between config files.
Jagobezzer

Post by Jagobezzer »

admin wrote:Looking good so far. I've asked engineers to try and come out with a working solution for BiPAC 7402X series next.
Please Hurry Guys the SKY Router is PANTS !!!
catonkatonk

Post by catonkatonk »

1.06g was working wonderfully until today. Just gets stuck on DHCP. Perhaps Sky have changed the way the password is calculated?