DHCP Shutdown

elsabio

DHCP Shutdown

Post by elsabio »

Is there a way to prevent (or change the behaviour) the DHCP shutdown that occurs when the router detects another DHCP server on the LAN?

I have (somewhere) a machine that connects and transiently starts its own DHCP server. This closes down, but only after the router has seen it and has shut itself down too. The consequence is that every time this machine connects, it kills DHCP services for the whole network.
billion_fan

Re: DHCP Shutdown

Post by billion_fan »

elsabio wrote:Is there a way to prevent (or change the behaviour) the DHCP shutdown that occurs when the router detects another DHCP server on the LAN?

I have (somewhere) a machine that connects and transiently starts its own DHCP server. This closes down, but only after the router has seen it and has shut itself down too. The consequence is that every time this machine connects, it kills DHCP services for the whole network.
I don't think you can change the behaviour of the DHCP server, another option is to setup all devices with fixed IP addresses and turn off the DHCP server.

Or check the device in question and see if there is a way to turn off this DHCP server that starts up and causes the conflict.
elsabio

Re: DHCP Shutdown

Post by elsabio »

Hmmm ... Too many devices, many portable to other networks, so reconfiguring to a fixed IP architecture is not viable.
I believe the device in question is one of the corporate-owned laptops that is configured by the IT services department, not me, and again it is portable so changing its configuration is unlikely.
It seems pretty unstable for the attachement of a device to cause the close down an essential network service.
Maybe I'll have to go back to the previous configuration where I have a very dumb router and a dedicated server providing DHCP, DNS, NAT and Firewall.

Thanks.