Setting up new 7800NX

new27800N

Setting up new 7800NX

Post by new27800N »

I am replacing my current wireless router (D-Link DIR-655) with a 7800NX. I expect it connect to my cable modem (Optus Australia) via the EWAN port but I can't find anything in the menu or manual which helps me configure it. I have a 7800N (which unfortunately has non-functioning wireless) and its menu system has explicit reference to EWAN. The 7800NX WAN config only has options for DSL, IP over Ethernet or 3G/4G yet it has a socket on the back labelled EWAN. My lack of experience is probably getting in the way here so can someone please guide me in the right direction?
billion_fan

Re: Setting up new 7800NX

Post by billion_fan »

new27800N wrote:I am replacing my current wireless router (D-Link DIR-655) with a 7800NX. I expect it connect to my cable modem (Optus Australia) via the EWAN port but I can't find anything in the menu or manual which helps me configure it. I have a 7800N (which unfortunately has non-functioning wireless) and its menu system has explicit reference to EWAN. The 7800NX WAN config only has options for DSL, IP over Ethernet or 3G/4G yet it has a socket on the back labelled EWAN. My lack of experience is probably getting in the way here so can someone please guide me in the right direction?
As we don't support the 7800NX here, all I can provide you with is the steps that we use for the 7800DXL, (the web interface should be same)

Please try the following steps.

1.Login to the 7800NX
2. Click on 'Configuration >> WAN >> WAN service'
3. Remove the 'pppoa0' interface which is used for ADSL
4. Click on the 'Add' button
5. Change the 'WAN' port to 'Ethernet'
6. Change the 'Type' to 'IP over Ethernet' or PPPOE depending on your ISP requirements for passing authentication
7. Click on 'Next'
8. Under 'Available Routed WAN Interfaces' you will see your new 'ipoe' or a 'PPPOE' connection, select it and click on the arrow pointing left (so this 'ipoe/pppoe' connection should now be listed under 'Selected Default Gateway Interfaces'
9. Do the same for the DNS servers listed below
10. Then click on 'Next' and that should be it.
new27800N

Re: Setting up new 7800NX

Post by new27800N »

billion_fan, many thanks and I'll give it a try.