7800n FTTC & Bright Box 2

tcollinge

7800n FTTC & Bright Box 2

Post by tcollinge »

I am upgrading to FTTC from EE, and they have sent me a Bright Box 2 wireless router in readiness.

I would like to be able to keep my billion 7800n as the wireless router, I have configured it to use quite a few "fixed host" IP addresses and the WiFi is working well. I also have wired connections to 3 points in the house and a NAS device connected locallly to the router so the gigabit ports are really useful to me.

Does anyone know how to/if it is possible use the bright box 2 in this scenario?.

I guess I can disable the DHCP and WIFi on the BB2.

If I then connect from the billion 7800n EWAN port to the WAN port of the BB2 will this work?
billion_fan

Re: 7800n FTTC & Bright Box 2

Post by billion_fan »

tcollinge wrote:I am upgrading to FTTC from EE, and they have sent me a Bright Box 2 wireless router in readiness.

I would like to be able to keep my billion 7800n as the wireless router, I have configured it to use quite a few "fixed host" IP addresses and the WiFi is working well. I also have wired connections to 3 points in the house and a NAS device connected locallly to the router so the gigabit ports are really useful to me.

Does anyone know how to/if it is possible use the bright box 2 in this scenario?.

I guess I can disable the DHCP and WIFi on the BB2.

If I then connect from the billion 7800n EWAN port to the WAN port of the BB2 will this work?
It should work, but you will most likely be behind double NAT, as both devices are working in 'routing mode' if you can turn the BB2 into a modem only, and configure the EWAN connection on the 7800N for a PPPOE connection, it would be better (so in theory the same setup as having a open reach modem, and 7800N)

I think the WAN port the BB2 is for a internet connection (connect a modem to this port) so you might have to use one of the normal LAN ports to make a connection to the EWAN port on the 7800N.
tcollinge

Post by tcollinge »

Unfortunately I don't think the BB2 can be configured as a modem,

I can't find any info on the wan port for the BB2.

I think I might have to obtain an VDSL modem for the least aggro migration
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

tcollinge wrote:Unfortunately I don't think the BB2 can be configured as a modem,

I can't find any info on the wan port for the BB2.

I think I might have to obtain an VDSL modem for the least aggro migration
Yep its the same issue with the BT home Hub 5 (can't be changed to modem only mode)
tcollinge

Post by tcollinge »

Just ordered a Draytek Vigor 130 VDSL modem, hopefully this should sort me out....EE have given me a free month, in respect of the BB2 shortfall, better than nothing I guess :-)