Setting 7800 as a bridge and a switch?

NinjaProtons

Setting 7800 as a bridge and a switch?

Post by NinjaProtons »

Hi!

I am using a 7800 as an ADSL router (PPPoA) and have recently installed a Linksys WHW0302 Velop mesh system to upgrade my existing WiFi solution. The problem is that the Velop defaults to acting as a router and results in double NAT after completing the initial setup.

As I would like all my devices to operate on one LAN network so they can all see each other correctly, my options seems to be narrowed down to either setting the Velop into bridge mode (and losing most of it's management features e.g. Apple HomeKit Accessory Security) or setting my 7800 into some kind of bridge mode that would allow me to connect the Velop using ethernet in order to act as the router using my ISP PPPoA config.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the 7800 in a bridge mode for PPPoA (I have read a number of cases using PPPoE, but not sure about how I would go about it if it currently connects over PPPoA)?

Furthermore, if I can use such a setup - are the unused ethernet ports on the 7800 able to be used for connecting to the Velop LAN? Like a switch? Logic is telling me this is not possible and I would need to connect a sperate ethernet switch to the Velop to give me more ethernet ports on that network.

I would be grateful for any advice you can give before I get stuck into testing this myself, as I'm trying something I've not done before here. :?

Cheers
billion_fan

Re: Setting 7800 as a bridge and a switch?

Post by billion_fan »

NinjaProtons wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:40 pm Hi!

I am using a 7800 as an ADSL router (PPPoA) and have recently installed a Linksys WHW0302 Velop mesh system to upgrade my existing WiFi solution. The problem is that the Velop defaults to acting as a router and results in double NAT after completing the initial setup.

As I would like all my devices to operate on one LAN network so they can all see each other correctly, my options seems to be narrowed down to either setting the Velop into bridge mode (and losing most of it's management features e.g. Apple HomeKit Accessory Security) or setting my 7800 into some kind of bridge mode that would allow me to connect the Velop using ethernet in order to act as the router using my ISP PPPoA config.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the 7800 in a bridge mode for PPPoA (I have read a number of cases using PPPoE, but not sure about how I would go about it if it currently connects over PPPoA)?

Furthermore, if I can use such a setup - are the unused ethernet ports on the 7800 able to be used for connecting to the Velop LAN? Like a switch? Logic is telling me this is not possible and I would need to connect a sperate ethernet switch to the Velop to give me more ethernet ports on that network.

I would be grateful for any advice you can give before I get stuck into testing this myself, as I'm trying something I've not done before here. :?

Cheers
Yes you can use the 7800 as a modem only but you will have to setup your Velop's WAN for a PPPoE connection with your ISP username and password entered to pass authentication.

No you can't use the Ethernet port on the back of the 7800N for normal clients, only your Velop will connected to the 7800N

Yes you will have to connect your switch to one of your Velop devices as the Velop will be the router in your network (everything will then be controlled by your Velop, eg DHCP, port forwarding etc

Attached is a screen shot example (ps if your Velop fails to obtain a WAN IP, try changing the 'Encap. method' to 'LLC/SNAP-Bridging' on the 7800N)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NinjaProtons

Re: Setting 7800 as a bridge and a switch?

Post by NinjaProtons »

billion_fan wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:26 am
NinjaProtons wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:40 pm Hi!

Cheers
Yes you can use the 7800 as a modem only but you will have to setup your Velop's WAN for a PPPoE connection with your ISP username and password entered to pass authentication.

No you can can't use the Ethernet port on the back of the 7800N for normal clients, only your Velop will connected to the 7800N

Yes you will have to connect your switch to one of your Velop devices as the Velop will be the router in your network (everything will then be controlled by your Velop, eg DHCP, port forwarding etc

Attached is a screen shot example (ps if your Velop fails to obtain a WAN IP, try changing the 'Encap. method' to 'LLC/SNAP-Bridging' on the 7800N)
Great I will give it a try and see how I get on. Thank you!