7800N strange ipv6 problem

Pete-B

7800N strange ipv6 problem

Post by Pete-B »

I raised a ticket (OPY-903-62647) three weeks ago with Billion support but have not yet received a reply.

Does anyone have any idea about why this is happening, all was OK until Plusnet carried out some "maintenance".
I have tried carrying out a factory reset and re-entering my setup a number of times but it has not helped.

7800N running 1.06d
My ISP is Plusnet and I am taking part in the ipv6 trial, connected via ADSL2+.
I have a manual workaround which involves editing the radvd.conf file on the 7800N and restarting the radvd process every time the ADSL modem connects.
The full text of the ticket is below.

Possible problem / bug with radvd (version 1.0) on 7800N 1.06d

I have had problems obtaining an ipv6 address from the 7800N - Windows 7, linux & android all fail to get an ipv6 address.
radvd.conf from 7800N (N.B. prefix field has been edited to hide full address)
This file is automatically generated during 7800N boot.
interface br0
{
AdvSendAdvert on;
MinRtrAdvInterval 198;
MaxRtrAdvInterval 600;
AdvDefaultPreference medium;
AdvManagedFlag off;
AdvOtherConfigFlag on;
prefix 2a02:16c8:****:****::/64
{
AdvPreferredLifetime infinity;
AdvValidLifetime infinity;
AdvOnLink on;
AdvAutonomous on;
AdvRouterAddr off;
};
};

I copied the above file to a linux box and ran it, it worked and I was able to get an ipv6 address.

I then ran radvdump with radvd (identical radvd.conf file) running on the 7800N and then the linux box and compared the outputs. The differences were as below.

Extract from radvdump with radvd running on linux
AdvPreferredLifetime infinity;
AdvValidLifetime infinity;

Extract from radvdump with radvd running on 7800N
AdvPreferredLifetime 0;
AdvValidLifetime 0;

The next step was to remove the the two above lines from the radvd.conf on the 7800N and restart the radvd daemon.

All systems (Windows, Linux etc.) are now being given an ipv6 address.

I assume that the radvd.conf file is generated automatically by the 7800N from information supplied by the RADIUS server at my ISP.

Is there any beta software for the 7800N that I can test?
billion_fan

Re: 7800N strange ipv6 problem

Post by billion_fan »

Hi Pete-B

I have had no issues with setting up IPv6 on the 7800N

Please see the attached screen shot of my test results.

I configured the unit via the web gui, and everything seems to work. I didn't need to change or edit the config.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete-B

Post by Pete-B »

Which ISP are you with?
How are you connected (ADSL, FTTC, other)?

I had no problems when I first set it up or when re-entered the set up following a firmware upgrade and again so that I could document all the setup. It was only following "maintenance" at Plusnet that I have been getting this problem.
I suspect changes were on the RADIUS servers that users of the ipv6 trial have not been informed about. It is a trial after all so very limited support is available and no guarantee is given that problems will even be looked at let alone resolved

I too used to get 10/10 on the test and still do if I apply my workaround.

I have been unable to find out if it is just me affected or if it is more widespread. At least I have a manual workaround.

PB
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

Thought you would have received a reply by now - suggest you contact Billion Support directly by phone on 0203 372 0120 and quote your ticket no.

What have Plusnet had to say.

Sorry I can't help with the tech stuff.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Sorry for the late reply the ISP I took the screen capture off, was Enta
Pete-B

Post by Pete-B »

Many thanks for the replies and my apologies for not responding sooner.
Due to a family emergency I have had to put this problem on hold for the time being.

It is in the early days of an ipv6 trial at Plusnet. No response from them yet, support for the trial is provided as and when resources might become available with no guarantee of a response or a resolution to any problems encountered.

PB