WiFi Dropouts

Salty_Wagyu

WiFi Dropouts

Post by Salty_Wagyu »

My 7800N started to drop Wifi connections quite badly yesterday and today, I didn't make any changes to the router prior to this issue starting.

I decided to try other channels, 1, 6 and 11, and "g+n only" but it made no difference. Wifi monitoring graphs show a dip every now and then randomly on my netbook. My android phone also suffered wifi drops at the same time as the netbook did.

After rebooting the router, WiFi started to work normally again. Still, I'd want to avoid this happening again as I don't want to periodically reboot when it does, this is the reason why I paid so much to have a reliable router. There are no other wifi networks near me, I live in a rural area.

I have a screenshot from Insidder on the netbook, but not my phone as it wasn't able to screenshot the red line going over the graph.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Salty_Wagyu

Re: WiFi Dropouts

Post by Salty_Wagyu »

Started happening again today when I woke up this morning, had complaints that wifi was dropping out on several devices

I've reset it to factory defaults but this hasn't fixed it. Is this router faulty?

Edit: Reverted back to my 2wire router for the time being, no problems with wifi at all.
Last edited by Salty_Wagyu on Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete-B

Post by Pete-B »

Not had any problems with WiFi on my 7800N, are you on the latest firmware?
I am running 1.06d.

PB
Salty_Wagyu

Post by Salty_Wagyu »

I am on 1.06d
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

Mine dropped out last Sunday evening just after 10 and then about the same time Monday and became worse over the week.

Stuck TalkTalk's HG532 back on for the benefit of the techs and set to G.Dmt as everything hanging on ADSL, but the fault has been decided it's external and waiting for BTOR visit.

Stuck the 7800N back on about 9 tonight and set to default 6dB ADSL without any disconnects, but will only sync up to ADSL2.

Tried it on a 4.5dB and 3dB but wouldn't go much higher than what I'm getting as per and pages hanging badly when they would load - plus a lot of errors.

Suggest you contact ISP to troubleshoot your line.

My exchange is NEPTE - don't know if your's is associated.
Salty_Wagyu

Post by Salty_Wagyu »

It's not an ADSL issue, its Wifi on the LAN. I lose the wireless connection to my 7800N frequently from 2 laptops and an android phone, file transfers across wifi on the LAN is rather erratic and often fails.

Thanks for trying though :)
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Try changing the beacon period etc

Follow these steps.

1. Open command prompt.
2. Type 'telnet 192.168.1.254'
3. Enter your username and password set to the 7800N
4. Type 'iwpriv ra0 set BeaconPeriod=75'
5. Type 'iwpriv ra0 set RTS threshold=2307'
6. Type 'iwpriv ra0 set FragThreshold=2304'
7. Type 'save'
8. Type 'Logout'
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

Is there a link which will show the default Beacons and a table for the values - similar to that for tweaking the SNR perhaps and possibly show optimum settings.
Salty_Wagyu

Post by Salty_Wagyu »

What do those commands do exactly? Is this something every Billion 7800N owner that uses wifi needs to do? I never heard about this anywhere so I'm sceptical.

I can't try them now though, I have packaged the 7800N up to be sent back to Billion as they've agreed it may be a fault and will look into it.
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

If you google beacon periods - there are a number of links which explain the function of the Beacon.

Before I change anything like this, I prefer to know the defaults and how to restore/enhance - hence my query for tables and such like.