Sony Ericsson XPERIA X8 Wireless Drops

andyjrobinson

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X8 Wireless Drops

Post by andyjrobinson »

Hi,

Just thought I would post here regarding the problems I am having with my X8 phone and wireless connections to the 7800N.

Problem is I seem to keep loosing connection very often, and that is when the device is less than 15 feet away from the router.

I have tried with numerous different routers including a Linksys, Huawei and D-Link and it only seems to happen when I connect it to the Billion.

Setting a static IP address for the phone makes no difference.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Note: Firmware is currently updated to 1.06d and ISP is TalkTalk.
Best Regards,
Andrew Robinson.
billion_fan

Re: Sony Ericsson XPERIA X8 Wireless Drops

Post by billion_fan »

Have you tried to change the channel the 7800n outputs on?

Also have you tried to change the channel width the wireless outputs on? Changing it to 20mhz might improve the compatabilty with your xperia x8.

Also have you tried to enable WMM?

All these settings can be found under advacned >> configuration >> lan >> wireless.
andyjrobinson

Post by andyjrobinson »

Hi,

Well, I am going to do a scan later to see which channel is going to be the best to use instead of having it set to channel 1 or automatic.

WMM is currently on on the router. Also if I remember rightly it is set to 20/40MHz for channel width.

I have made some changes to the X8 wireless driver also so it allow support for Draft N, Bursting and 20/40MHz width to see if that helps.

I will post back later today.
Best Regards,
Andrew Robinson.
billford

Post by billford »

It may or may not be connected, but I was getting frequent (~10-15 minutes) dropouts when using an Apple Airport Express with the 7800N. I raised it on another forum and the following was suggested:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
iwpriv ra0 set BeaconPeriod=75
iwpriv ra0 set RTS threshold=2307
iwpriv ra0 set FragThreshold=2304

You can set these on the Billion 7800N using Terminal as follows:

1. Open command prompt.
2. Type 'telnet 192.168.1.254'
3. Enter your username and password set to the 7800N
4. Type 'iwpriv ra0 set BeaconPeriod=75'
5. Type 'iwpriv ra0 set RTS threshold=2307'
6. Type 'iwpriv ra0 set FragThreshold=2304'
7. Type 'save'
8. Type 'Logout'

Without the quotes, obviously
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It seemed to do the trick.
Szymanski99

Post by Szymanski99 »

Possibly connected - I use some Bush TR2015 radios which have been suffering from frequent dropouts, hang-ups and failure to reconnect when switched on from standby. Switching the router from b+g+n to b+g seemed to solve the problem, but at the expense of a drastic reduction in connection speed to my laptop. I have now gone to g+n but switched to 20Hz channels only. Fingers crossed, but that seems to be working.
nicotine

Post by nicotine »

The Baseband on your SE phone could also be causing it. Not sure if your phone is rooted but you can try flashing different basedband as newer ones seems to be much better on battery and receptions. Also there are some free apps on Android market called like " Wifi fix" or something which claimed to help solved wireless conenction problems. Also check for your phone's wireless sleep policy and try setting it to "Never".

BiPAC-7800N ADSL24 40Mbps FTTC
andyjrobinson

Post by andyjrobinson »

Hi,

Well I have tried using telnet to make the settings changes as recommended earlier, however, this did't seem to make a difference.

I have contacted UK support by phone, but they did not have an X8 available to test, and could not recreate the problem with an X10.

I got a call back telling me that they were going to escalate it to their head office for testing and fix if needed.

As far as I know, I am on Baseband 015. I have also tried different firmware/custom ROM's on the device, such as FroyoBread and Gingerbread, and these make no difference either.

I will post back when I have some further information, and perhaps even a solution.
Best Regards,
Andrew Robinson.