7800N failed after 5 days!

NigelS

7800N failed after 5 days!

Post by NigelS »

My 7800N unit was working great for 5 days, then today the DSL/Internet lights are both dead (unlit). I hard rebooted but the power LED flashes green/amber and the DSL modem never syncs with the ADSL signal.

According to BT there are no problems on my exchange and I have now put my old router back on the line and it is working just fine.

So I guess my Billion router has blown a gasket. Are they really this unreliable or have I just been unlucky?

NigelS
tinytim

Re: 7800N failed after 5 days!

Post by tinytim »

They don't seem that reliable I must say.

I know someone who's just return a 7400 series for replacement & there's a guy here who's returning his. On a relatively low volume seller there seem to be too many incidents of failure.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

I would try a reset back to factory default settings, if you haven't already tried it.
NigelS

Post by NigelS »

well must say Amazon has surpassed expectation. Reported it faulty Mon morning they sent out a replacement - came today. The faulty unit was picked up by courier also today. So new working replacement in 24 hrs. Here's hoping for more success this time round.

NigelS
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

NigelS wrote:well must say Amazon has surpassed expectation. Reported it faulty Mon morning they sent out a replacement - came today. The faulty unit was picked up by courier also today. So new working replacement in 24 hrs. Here's hoping for more success this time round.

NigelS
I would say that was a result but being naturally curious, I think I would want to know why it went toes up :)
NigelS

Post by NigelS »

Hardware failure. That's all I need to know :D

So long as it is rapidly replaced and the replacement works 100% from now on, I will be happy enough. Clearly the ADSL modem part of the circuitry had failed because it wasn't even detecting an ADSL signal on the line. Most likely it was the internal power regulation circuitry, as power supplies seem statistically to be the most likely electronic components to fail.

NigelS

PS. I just noticed that the replacement router is only running f/w v1.06a (the one that broke and went back was 1.06d). This suggestes to me I have been sent a refurb., which is a bit annoying but OK I guess so long as it doesn't also fail later on.
NigelS

Post by NigelS »

Just to report that the replacement 7800N has worked fine since it was put to use. It has been connected continuously at 8400 kbps for over 14 days now, which is the longest I've managed with any router since the old days (an original Vigor 2600 back in 2003); and also the highest sync value achieved with any modem I've tried to date (Netgear, dLink and Vigor all failed to keep anything higher than about 8200 kbps for longer than 5 or 6 days at best.

The others also all suffered from a weird problem where ftp uploading to my website would become totally unresponsive after Day 6 and required that the router was cold rebooted before it would start again. The Billion 7800N has been uploading a small file to my website every 10 seconds for the past 14 days and hasn't missed a beat.

So I am quite pleased, so far,

NigelS
Starman

Post by Starman »

No issues with my 7800N which has been running fine for the 6 months or so I've owned it. Better than the crappy supplied HH3 :p
BT Infinity FTTC [60.8Mb/20Mb] via Huawei EchoLife HG612 & Billion 7800N [1.06g]
ImageImage