BiPAC 7800DX help setting up VPN please

Boarders

BiPAC 7800DX help setting up VPN please

Post by Boarders »

I have a Billion BiPAC 7800DX at work and would like to set up the VPN connection to access the network from anywhere, presumably with a Remote Desktop Connection.

I've never set up a VPN before and would love some help achieving it. The IT guy used by our small business is unfamiliar with Billion products but is very familiar with Drayteks, and usually suggests using a Draytek 2860 to his clients. Rather than purchase a new router, I'd like to get the Billion working, and I assume setup should be similar in many respects.

Can I please have a little help setting a VPN up? I've downloaded the guide listed above "VPN-IPSEC-FAQ.pdf" but find it a little confusing for my novice brain. [edit] Since typing this, I've come across similar documents "VPN-PPTP-FAQ" and "VPN-L2TP-FAQ", so I guess the question is, which setup is the most appropriate for our needs? We don't need an "always on" connection, but rather "dial-in" as required.

Currently we have a 4G dongle providing internet but are working towards ADSL2+ soon. I'm able to remotely connect to computers in the network via LogMeIn and TeamViewer but it's not the most practical way in. I should add that we obviously have a dynamic IP, but I've configured the router to connect to the DDNS server dynu.com to stay on top of changing IPs.

Thanks heaps,
Nick
Boarders

Re: BiPAC 7800DX help setting up VPN please

Post by Boarders »

Anyone?

Billion were absolutely useless after I asked them for help.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Boarders wrote:Anyone?

Billion were absolutely useless after I asked them for help.
Try following the attached guide to setup a PPTP Sever with the 7800DX

http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/inde ... ptp-server
Boarders

Post by Boarders »

Thanks, will have a look. Out of interest, isn't PPTP an insecure VPN option?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Boarders wrote:Thanks, will have a look. Out of interest, isn't PPTP an insecure VPN option?
Have a look at following link, for screen shot examples I posted for a L2TP/IPsec connection setup

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1875&p=6240&hilit=l2tp#p6240
Boarders

Post by Boarders »

Thanks for all the help, I finally managed to get L2TP/IPSec working.

Out of interest, is there a limit of 1 connection at a time or can there be simultaneous VPN connections?

Thanks.