Ethernet Issues

wanstronian

Re: Ethernet Issues

Post by wanstronian »

Hi, I already have 2.32e installed, so I don't think it's firmware.

Came downstairs this morning to find that yet again, Sky and my ethernet connected devices are unable to connect, while my phones and work laptop are all fine.

I did a full factory reset a couple of weeks ago which didn't fix the problem. Given that it accepts some connections but not others, it almost feels like a configuration problem; but that should act consistently, not vary randomly.

I have another router, but I can't get it connected to the internet on my FTTC connection so can't be conclusive that it's the router at fault.

It's driving me mad. :-)
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

wanstronian wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:43 am Hi, I already have 2.32e installed, so I don't think it's firmware.

Came downstairs this morning to find that yet again, Sky and my ethernet connected devices are unable to connect, while my phones and work laptop are all fine.

I did a full factory reset a couple of weeks ago which didn't fix the problem. Given that it accepts some connections but not others, it almost feels like a configuration problem; but that should act consistently, not vary randomly.

I have another router, but I can't get it connected to the internet on my FTTC connection so can't be conclusive that it's the router at fault.

It's driving me mad. :-)
I would try the firmware upgrade anyway, as this version has the latest updates
wanstronian

Post by wanstronian »

billion_fan wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:30 am

Ok, well I upgraded the firmware a week ago so I doubt it's changed :-) But I'll do it again.

I came downstairs this morning and again it had dropped all ethernet and specifc wifi connections. It's always the same ones that get dropped, and the same ones that are retained.

I'll let you know how I get on with the re-try of the firmware!
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

wanstronian wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:26 am
billion_fan wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:30 am

Ok, well I upgraded the firmware a week ago so I doubt it's changed :-) But I'll do it again.

I came downstairs this morning and again it had dropped all ethernet and specifc wifi connections. It's always the same ones that get dropped, and the same ones that are retained.

I'll let you know how I get on with the re-try of the firmware!
Also try disconnecting the switch if possible, and run for a couple of days with devices directly connected to the router, also run the wired devices on static IP's outside the DHCP range to see if that helps.
wanstronian

Post by wanstronian »

billion_fan wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:15 am
Also try disconnecting the switch if possible, and run for a couple of days with devices directly connected to the router, also run the wired devices on static IP's outside the DHCP range to see if that helps.
Well, it seemed like it was working :-) Been stable for a couple of days.

But about ten minutes ago, as my son was using the computer for his school work, the router kicked the connections again.

The main computer, that he was using, is connected directly to the router - not going through a switch.

Pulling the power cable out of the router for ten mins then plugging it back in seems to work. But obviously not a long term solution.

So now I'm in the market for a new router - preferably one with good VDSL2 handling so I can free up an ethernet port.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

wanstronian wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:26 pm
billion_fan wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:15 am
Well, it seemed like it was working :-) Been stable for a couple of days.

But about ten minutes ago, as my son was using the computer for his school work, the router kicked the connections again.

The main computer, that he was using, is connected directly to the router - not going through a switch.

Pulling the power cable out of the router for ten mins then plugging it back in seems to work. But obviously not a long term solution.

So now I'm in the market for a new router - preferably one with good VDSL2 handling so I can free up an ethernet port.
Have a look at out 8900 series, but there might be stock issues at the moment