Replace 7800DXL with ?

evansnp

Replace 7800DXL with ?

Post by evansnp »

Hi Billion_fan. I have been using a 7800DXL in a business setup for a couple of years now, but it's developed a problem where it forgets its setup, and doesn't hand out IP addresses to some devices. I've re-installed the 2.32e firmware, but the problem persists, so I think it may have seen its day. I'm looking at replacing it with the 8900AX-1600 R2, but need reassurance that the new router will behave in the same way as the old router i.e. is the firmware base similar? the specific requirement that I have is to support routing to two VLANs, via static routes. Many routers support this, but then drop packets coming from their 'non-native' network, whereas the 7800DXL didn't. If you are happy that the two routers behave in a similar way, then I'm happy to go ahead an purchase one. Thanks in advance.
billion_fan

Re: Replace 7800DXL with ?

Post by billion_fan »

evansnp wrote:Hi Billion_fan. I have been using a 7800DXL in a business setup for a couple of years now, but it's developed a problem where it forgets its setup, and doesn't hand out IP addresses to some devices. I've re-installed the 2.32e firmware, but the problem persists, so I think it may have seen its day. I'm looking at replacing it with the 8900AX-1600 R2, but need reassurance that the new router will behave in the same way as the old router i.e. is the firmware base similar? the specific requirement that I have is to support routing to two VLANs, via static routes. Many routers support this, but then drop packets coming from their 'non-native' network, whereas the 7800DXL didn't. If you are happy that the two routers behave in a similar way, then I'm happy to go ahead an purchase one. Thanks in advance.
Yes the 8900AX-1600 R2 has all the same features as the 7800, the web gui is almost identical (Billion OS, based off Broadcom)
evansnp

Re: Replace 7800DXL with ?

Post by evansnp »

Thanks Billion_fan, much appreciated.