Billion 7800DXL SNR Adjustment Assistance

dave103

Billion 7800DXL SNR Adjustment Assistance

Post by dave103 »

Hi Guys,

I'm attempting to tweak my snr on the Billion 7800dxl - but do not know where to start.
Below are my line stats ( at 4.30 pm in the afternoon ) and my current snr setting is on -1 ( the previous owner had it on this when I bought the router ).
The current profile is on ADSL2 (not ADSL2+) and I'm not sure how far away I am from the exchange.
Any help / opinion will be appreciated.
Thank you
billion_fan

Re: Billion 7800DXL SNR Adjustment Assistance

Post by billion_fan »

dave103 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:55 pm Hi Guys,

I'm attempting to tweak my snr on the Billion 7800dxl - but do not know where to start.
Below are my line stats ( at 4.30 pm in the afternoon ) and my current snr setting is on -1 ( the previous owner had it on this when I bought the router ).
The current profile is on ADSL2 (not ADSL2+) and I'm not sure how far away I am from the exchange.
Any help / opinion will be appreciated.
Thank you
Attached is the SNR table,

Example your default SNR is 7.4db downstream if you want a SNR of 3.4db enter the value 2 in the SNR section (which equals -4db off 7.4db)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave103

Post by dave103 »

Billion Fan Thank you.

1) After a reduction in the SNR, Is it the 'Attainable Rate Kbps' that should increase or is it the 'Rate (kbps)' that should go up ?
( after typing in a number to reduce the SNR, my Attainable Rate kbps has increased but my 'Rate (kbps) has more or less stayed the same ).

2) Do the stats suggest that I am far or near to the exchange ?.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

dave103 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:05 pm Billion Fan Thank you.

1) After a reduction in the SNR, Is it the 'Attainable Rate Kbps' that should increase or is it the 'Rate (kbps)' that should go up ?
( after typing in a number to reduce the SNR, my Attainable Rate kbps has increased but my 'Rate (kbps) has more or less stayed the same ).

2) Do the stats suggest that I am far or near to the exchange ?.
From looking at your line attenuation you are approximately 2.5km from the exchange.

If the Rate Kbps has not changed (after the SNR adjustment) this normally means the speed is capped by either the ISP or DLM.
dave103

Post by dave103 »

If the Rate kbps has not changed - then that means using the SNR feature will not give me any benefit - unless I ask EE Broadband to 'uncap' me at the exchange (which I doubt).
Also at a distance of 2.5km, ADSL2+ will not provide any additional benefits over ADSL+

I might as well go back to using the TP-Link TD-W8960N ( also has a broadcom chipset without tweaking ability ) ?
(apologies for now sounding cynical and wanting to sell the Billion)
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

If you're on a 21CN exchange and the ISP has applied a capped profile, normally what will happen when you set a lower SNR target is that your router will connect showing a lower SNR but with no higher synch speed. The question then is why is the speed capped? Normally this would be as a result of error rates, but would only be applied after a series of changes in target noise margin have been applied. Would be worth asking your ISP to do a full reset on the line.

Check error rates under Status / Statistics / xDSL. Down the bottom the figure "Total ES" is the relevant one for line monitoring. You can reset the counters and see how quickly they clock up.