Issue using Netflix - is it my router ?

Adelphi2003

Issue using Netflix - is it my router ?

Post by Adelphi2003 »

Hi - this is my first post ....

I have a 7800DXL router, which has worked really well for me.

I got it some time ago to replace the router my then ISP provided, and I got a better line speed and improved WiFi from it straight away.

Anyway, last year we moved over to Sky 'Fibre' - the version that is still copper to your house, but is partially fibre back to the exchange etc.

I couldn't get the 7800 to connect to the sky ADSL, and having done some digging on the internet, it turned out that sky don't release all the info you need to connect your own modem. So I implemented a bit of hybrid setup. The sky box is acting as the modem, and is plugged into the 7800, which is acting as router and DHCP server and WiFi for the house.

This all worked great - until a few months ago .....

Netflix stopped working on our smart TVs.
It works fine on the phones (connected to the WiFi)
It works fine on a PC (connected to the 7800 via wired ethernet)
But it will not work on either a samsung TV, an LG TV, and 2 x amazon firesticks ....

Having spent ages trying all the usual stuff (reseting etc) having been onto netflix and Sky tech support with both of them blaming the other, and being no help at all to be honest - I gave up

But I thought whilst it was Christmas, I'd have another go at seeing if I could get to the bottom of it.

Cutting a long story short - it looks like the 7800 is at least part of the problem....

I enabled the WiFi on the sky modem. router, and connected one of the tvs to this wifi network - netflix works.

Put it back to the 7800 wifi network - it doesn't work.

I can't see anything in the 7800 config that appears 'wrong' - but something is giving me this issue.

Does anyone have any thoughts ??

I'm going to contact Billion in the new year and see what they think.

The TVs show Error NW-2-5 which netflix call a 'Network connectivity issue' which of course is no help at all !

Thanks
billion_fan

Re: Issue using Netflix - is it my router ?

Post by billion_fan »

Adelphi2003 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:34 pm Hi - this is my first post ....

I have a 7800DXL router, which has worked really well for me.

I got it some time ago to replace the router my then ISP provided, and I got a better line speed and improved WiFi from it straight away.

Anyway, last year we moved over to Sky 'Fibre' - the version that is still copper to your house, but is partially fibre back to the exchange etc.

I couldn't get the 7800 to connect to the sky ADSL, and having done some digging on the internet, it turned out that sky don't release all the info you need to connect your own modem. So I implemented a bit of hybrid setup. The sky box is acting as the modem, and is plugged into the 7800, which is acting as router and DHCP server and WiFi for the house.

This all worked great - until a few months ago .....

Netflix stopped working on our smart TVs.
It works fine on the phones (connected to the WiFi)
It works fine on a PC (connected to the 7800 via wired ethernet)
But it will not work on either a samsung TV, an LG TV, and 2 x amazon firesticks ....

Having spent ages trying all the usual stuff (reseting etc) having been onto netflix and Sky tech support with both of them blaming the other, and being no help at all to be honest - I gave up

But I thought whilst it was Christmas, I'd have another go at seeing if I could get to the bottom of it.

Cutting a long story short - it looks like the 7800 is at least part of the problem....

I enabled the WiFi on the sky modem. router, and connected one of the tvs to this wifi network - netflix works.

Put it back to the 7800 wifi network - it doesn't work.

I can't see anything in the 7800 config that appears 'wrong' - but something is giving me this issue.

Does anyone have any thoughts ??

I'm going to contact Billion in the new year and see what they think.

The TVs show Error NW-2-5 which netflix call a 'Network connectivity issue' which of course is no help at all !

Thanks
What version of firmware are you on??
Adelphi2003

Post by Adelphi2003 »

Hi,

I'm on 2.32e, which I think is the current version ?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Adelphi2003 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:42 pm Hi,

Try a firmware update attached is a newer firmware, you will need to reset the device back to factory defaults and reconfigure the device manually.

As your Sky modem/router is working in router mode, I would also advise putting the WAN IP address obtained by the Billion into DMZ on the Sky router.

Eg Billions WAN obtains 192.168.2.200 from the Sky router, put this IP into DMZ on the Sky router
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adelphi2003

Post by Adelphi2003 »

Hi,

Thanks for that.

Is it a newer version ? I'm confused as both say 2.32e on them.

I will give it a try when I get home.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Adelphi2003 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:05 pm Hi,

Thanks for that.

Is it a newer version ? I'm confused as both say 2.32e on them.

I will give it a try when I get home.
The .d12 is related to the firmware version of 2.32e. (which is the very latest)

Also make sure the Tv's connect to main SSID (not a guest wifi network) of the 7800 and don't forget the DMZ
Comedy79

Post by Comedy79 »

billion_fan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:39 am

Try a firmware update attached is a newer firmware, you will need to reset the device back to factory defaults and reconfigure the device manually.

As your Sky modem/router is working in router mode, I would also advise putting the WAN IP address obtained by the Billion into DMZ on the Sky router.

Eg Billions WAN obtains 192.168.2.200 from the Sky router, put this IP into DMZ on the Sky router
Quick check, my firmware is "Billion_UK_7800DXL_2.32e" from 2015, should I be using this thread's version "Zcomax7800DXL_2.32e.d12" or is it the same as mine?

Cheers

D
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Comedy79 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:17 pm
billion_fan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:39 am

Quick check, my firmware is "Billion_UK_7800DXL_2.32e" from 2015, should I be using this thread's version "Zcomax7800DXL_2.32e.d12" or is it the same as mine?

Cheers

D
The firmware is not the same, the very latest is 2.32e.d12
Comedy79

Post by Comedy79 »

Perfect thanks for confirming, I shall install that one then!

Might be worth updating the firmware "sticky" thread in the announcements section, as i've always looked there and only stumbled upon various updates via threads like this?

Cheers

D