New Products Released - 7800DXL AND 7800VDOX

spud989

Re: New Products Released - 7800DXL AND 7800VDOX

Post by spud989 »

I got it working anyway. Thanks, though!

I was using one of the wrong setup methods and hadn't split my user/pass with a | properly. Just need to set it up with my NAS/dyndns now and play around with some of the advanced settings :)
dzuser

Post by dzuser »

Hi,

I'm currently using a 7800N (Sky Fibre) and have had to disable QoS due to the fact that when enabled the Fibre Sync speed is halved!

Therefore I was wondering if either of the 7800DXL or 7800VDOX offered better QoS functionality over the 7800N?

Thanks.
swatboy79

Post by swatboy79 »

Good question i need to test it too. I remember on my old 7800N QOS let a fair bit of bandwidth into thin air.
Philip_L

Post by Philip_L »

Hi

Considering both models are identical except for the 7800VDOX having the missing circuit board bits populated for VoIP, why is there no VPN End point on the 7800DXL as there is with the 7800N?

As the VPN is a software/firmware feature, then Billion must have decided to not include it on the 7800DXL, presumably to push people to the more expensive VoIP model even if they don't want the VoIP feature.

I do hope it is a mistake and that the VPN End point is indeed on the 7800DXL. I thought better of Billion in that they wouldn't be the sort of company to deliberately remove a feature in order to differentiate between products artificially. Surely both routers should be identical in features except for the VDOX having VoIP. I can only think that VoIP isn't that popular in some markets that Billion need to provide another reason for SOHO users to splash out on it. Tell me I'm wrong Billion.

Regards

Phil
stupot99

Post by stupot99 »

Hi,

I was wondering the same, I'd order a 7800DXL right now if it had VPN.

It would be jumping to conclusions to think that VPN only required software, but either way it does have an associated development cost.

Maybe Billion could say whether VPN would be a possible update to the DXL software?

Stu
Philip_L

Post by Philip_L »

Hi

The Broadcom chip used supports VPN end points so it is only a software issue, although there may be associated licensing cost perhaps.

Many people do not need VoIP, our office uses Skype and on-line conferencing, we have no need for 2 VoIP ports and it is a limited and dated way of providing voice over IP these days given the flexibility of other options, but VPN End points are more popular with small offices for remote working. The decision to leave it off the 7800DXL is rather odd but sadly with a cyncical head on a marketing decision to push the more expensive model. I've got routers costing much less from several years ago supporting VPN End points.

Given the packaging and specifications have all been prepared with the 7800DXL lacking any mention of VPN End points, I doubt they will change their stance.

A shame as I would have bought the 7800DXL, just the product I was waiting for from Billion, but I need the VPN End point support as I have now on the 7800N.

Regards

Phil
stupot99

Post by stupot99 »

I'm with Phil, it smacks of marketing.

I'm sure there are more customers who'll just want VPN than those who'll want VOIP. My old Draytek router had VPN and VOIP, never used the VOIP but wanted VPN. The VOIP functionality has an obvious cost increase because of the extra hardware, the cost of the VPN isn't so apparent - thats what makes it hard to understand why a 'cheap' feature is only available on the more expensive model.

Wouldn't it be good if you could buy the hardware then pay to enable only the required software modules!
Philip_L

Post by Philip_L »

Hi

I dare say getting hold of the open source code it might not be too hard for someone to enable VPN end points on the 7800DXL, but we shouldn't have too really. VPN End points should be standard on these top end routers, not artificially restricted on one model to push sales of another more expensive one.

The 7800DXL says Ideal for SOHO and home users, well for a 'small office, home office' I expect the ability to connect back to the office network when I'm out working remotely. This is a must for me when using public Wi-Fi connections for security and privacy and to access the office network.

No response from Billion over the decision making process on this, would be good to hear it justified.

Regards

Phil
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

As you may know Billion tend to launch in Australia first and the models they want there are the VoIP ones - 7800VNPX, 7800VDOX etc.

So when launching in the UK we can only sell what is available. So to keep it simple we wanted one router for home, one router for business.

So 7800DXL for home user, 7800VDOX for business user (as 7800VDOX was developed first and is ready).

7800DX (VPN, no VoIP) is due to launch later this year.
Philip_L

Post by Philip_L »

Hi

Thank you for the good news that another model will be available with VPN but no VoIP.

What is the reason there will be two models that are only separated by the inclusion or exclusion of VPN End points? We both know the 7800DXL supports VPN except for the fact it is removed from the firmware.

Regards

Phil