New Products Released - 7800DXL AND 7800VDOX

admin
Site Admin

Re: New Products Released - 7800DXL AND 7800VDOX

Post by admin »

TMilles wrote:Hi All,

I have a 7800N that I use on Sky fibre at home. Although my 7800N is working fine I was thinking of upgrading to the 7800DXL, but the VPN issue has put me off as I find VPN support useful on my current 7800N. Having tried other makes of VOIP routers (unsuccessfully) at home I'm not likely to use the VOIP functionality of the 7800VDOX so can't justify the additional cost. However, like you all I do want VPN support, as well as the other benefits of dual wireless etc on the next Billion router I buy especially when you consider the price of Billion's products compared to cheaper brands. Its good to hear from Admin that Billion have recognised there is a need for for a 7800DXL with the benefits of VPN support (7800DX), but without the VOIP functionality and associated extra costs of the 7800VDOX. I am keen to stick with Billion, as like the quality of their products and their technical support who I have found very helpful over the past year. I too will wait until the 7800DX is launched later this year before deciding which of the Billion's new routers to upgrade too, I just hope the 7800DX will be launched sooner rather than later! Many thanks to you all for posting this on the Billion UK forum.

Bests regards,

Tom.
Hi Tom,
Latest update we have is that the 7800DX will be available from second week of June 2013 so around 1 month away.
Philip_L

Post by Philip_L »

Hi

Thank you for the update, looking forward to this model.

Regards

Phil
jpearn

Post by jpearn »

Hi, I have a question before I purchase this router. I have both an ADSL and BT Infinity connections setup with 2 separate routers, could I replace both with just this ?? Does this load balance or use both the WAN ports at once ??
Thanks !
TMilles

Post by TMilles »

Hi Admin,

Many thanks for the update on the 7800DX launch date. I look forward to the launch :)

Best regards,

Tom.
Philip_L

Post by Philip_L »

Hi

Just a heads up, the 7800DX is now in stock at http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/ for £160.00.

So for VPN (a software only change) it is costing us £20 more over the DXL.

Regards

Phil
DannyH246

Post by DannyH246 »

Hi,

I live in Bermuda but still have a home office type setup at my mums place back in the UK. Recently she reported problems accessing the internet and I was having difficulties VPN'ing in. My setup was a Draytek Vigor 120 Modem + Asus N66U Router. Upon returning home I discovered the Modem would keep on dropping the ADSL connection. Conveniently it was just outside the 1 year manufacturers warranty.

As I was returning to Bermuda soon I wanted to fix the situation quickly...and I also wanted an all-in-one solution as it seemed that only Draytek made a modem that acts as a genuine pppoe bridge. Based on my experience with the 120 I was reluctant to go down that route again. A quick search resulted in me finding out about the 7800 DX. As I could not find it for sale anywhere I ignorantly bought the 7800DXL thinking that it was bound to have VPN support.

So here I am - just about to setup my VPN before I head back to Bermuda and now I find that it doesn't support it...

I know it's my fault for not researching things more thoroughly but I was/am in a hurry to get everything setup before returning home. After reading this forum it seems the router I have in fact 'could' support the VPN feature with a firmware upgrade. If this is the case would it be possible to purchase this firmware if it is not intended to be released on its own?

Thanks
Danial