Correct Config for 8800NL R2 Just as Modem ?

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
BFUMXXXX

Correct Config for 8800NL R2 Just as Modem ?

Post by BFUMXXXX »

I have been using the Billion as a modem on a Plusnet FTTC line with a Synology router since Feb this year.

I am at present using the Billion config from here....
https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.u ... -multicast (call this config "X" )

I didn't use the Billion config...
http://www.billion.uk.com/edu/VDSL2/index.html (call this config "Z")

for bridged mode as...

A. I hadn't found it (no bridged mode config in the manual, or not one I understood)
B. When I did find Config "Z" the terminology using a "firewall" I found confusing (why not say firewall and or router)

With the BT Multicast config ("X") I have to use the VLAN config even though for bridged mode. This is the support config suggested..

"For a VDSL (Fibre) setup change the PTM interface to 'Bridging' with the '802.1P Priority' set to '0' and the ' 802.1Q VLAN ID ' set to '101' "

The end result was virtually no difference in speed than the Plusnet router. (Change was mainly to get better WiFi) Although I didn't seem to be getting as fast a connection as possible it was acceptable.

Recent problems have however caused me to look at the config again, download/Upload had been around 40/9.5 for months but a few days ago changed to 38/1.0 (yes upload dropped from 10 ish to 1) A post on the PN forum and magically it was back at 38/8.5. the next day. No soft or hard reset of any kit at my end.

This then dropped to 38/4 a couple of days ago (this was reflected in the "attainable/rate in the Billion xDSL stats so I didn't expect more than 4.x ) which point I did a soft reset of the Billion and the rate changed immediately to xx /8.5

At present I now have 38/8.5 this is liveable with Amazon videos running just fine which is probably the biggest load on the connection.

But............ looking at the stats on the Billion I get...

Attainable / Rate 46389 / 45276 and 8975 / 8975

I would think that these rates include the protocol overhead and so the actual rates achieved will be a little lower than "Rate" but I just have the feeling that 38 is still too low and I know that I have had more than 8.5 upload in the past. p figures being BOTH 8975 is also odd.

Other than the sudden reduction in upload, 10 down to 1, I don't want to bug PN as some of the problem could possibly be my use of config "X"

I have saved the Billion config and so the connection failing if I mess with it isn't a big problem as I can just restore it.

What (eventually :-) ) my question is. Is config "Z", the ONLY thing needed? (seems a LOT simpler that the other) plus maybe the VLAN config to get the connection to the router on the EWAN (blue) port?
billion_fan

Re: Correct Config for 8800NL R2 Just as Modem ?

Post by billion_fan »

BFUMXXXX wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:47 pm I have been using the Billion as a modem on a Plusnet FTTC line with a Synology router since Feb this year.

I am at present using the Billion config from here....
https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.u ... -multicast (call this config "X" )

I didn't use the Billion config...
http://www.billion.uk.com/edu/VDSL2/index.html (call this config "Z")

for bridged mode as...

A. I hadn't found it (no bridged mode config in the manual, or not one I understood)
B. When I did find Config "Z" the terminology using a "firewall" I found confusing (why not say firewall and or router)

With the BT Multicast config ("X") I have to use the VLAN config even though for bridged mode. This is the support config suggested..

"For a VDSL (Fibre) setup change the PTM interface to 'Bridging' with the '802.1P Priority' set to '0' and the ' 802.1Q VLAN ID ' set to '101' "

The end result was virtually no difference in speed than the Plusnet router. (Change was mainly to get better WiFi) Although I didn't seem to be getting as fast a connection as possible it was acceptable.

Recent problems have however caused me to look at the config again, download/Upload had been around 40/9.5 for months but a few days ago changed to 38/1.0 (yes upload dropped from 10 ish to 1) A post on the PN forum and magically it was back at 38/8.5. the next day. No soft or hard reset of any kit at my end.

This then dropped to 38/4 a couple of days ago (this was reflected in the "attainable/rate in the Billion xDSL stats so I didn't expect more than 4.x ) which point I did a soft reset of the Billion and the rate changed immediately to xx /8.5

At present I now have 38/8.5 this is liveable with Amazon videos running just fine which is probably the biggest load on the connection.

But............ looking at the stats on the Billion I get...

Attainable / Rate 46389 / 45276 and 8975 / 8975

I would think that these rates include the protocol overhead and so the actual rates achieved will be a little lower than "Rate" but I just have the feeling that 38 is still too low and I know that I have had more than 8.5 upload in the past. p figures being BOTH 8975 is also odd.

Other than the sudden reduction in upload, 10 down to 1, I don't want to bug PN as some of the problem could possibly be my use of config "X"

I have saved the Billion config and so the connection failing if I mess with it isn't a big problem as I can just restore it.

What (eventually :-) ) my question is. Is config "Z", the ONLY thing needed? (seems a LOT simpler that the other) plus maybe the VLAN config to get the connection to the router on the EWAN (blue) port?
For Bridge mode setup all you need to do is set the WAN PTM Interface to Bridging with the '802.1P Priority' set to '0' and the ' 802.1Q VLAN ID ' set to '101' "

When using the device as a broadband router (EWAN port connected to a modem) then you don't need to tag the VLAN ID or '802.1P Priority'