What Firmware Version Should I Be Running?

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
DavidCheshire

What Firmware Version Should I Be Running?

Post by DavidCheshire »

I have a BiPAC 8800NL, which I have had for several years, connecting to TalkTalk's fibre network.

After some recent problems I started poking about and noticed that I am on Software Version 2.32d.dt1. After reading some discussions on this forum and elsewhere I am not sure whether I should upgrade this to a later version. If I should, what version should I upgrade to?

Many thanks for any help.
billion_fan

Re: What Firmware Version Should I Be Running?

Post by billion_fan »

DavidCheshire wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:05 am I have a BiPAC 8800NL, which I have had for several years, connecting to TalkTalk's fibre network.

After some recent problems I started poking about and noticed that I am on Software Version 2.32d.dt1. After reading some discussions on this forum and elsewhere I am not sure whether I should upgrade this to a later version. If I should, what version should I upgrade to?

Many thanks for any help.
Attached is the latest firmware version for your device, as your device is on a older firmware build, you will have to upgrade your device, then reset back to factory default settings, and manually reconfigure the device again.

Do not restore settings from previous firmware builds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DavidCheshire

Post by DavidCheshire »

Thanks for your quick reply, upgrade installed and working.

I now realise that the 8800NL R2 must be a later version, glad I asked before trying to upgrade with the wrong firmware!

Would I notice any benefit in terms of download speed by getting a new 8800NL R2, or any other Billion model? I thought that the connection speed was determined by the line, but I have been having some problems with my TalkTalk broadband. They sold me a new TalkTalk WiFi Hub, which wasn't very good, and then replaced it with one that was worse, so I put the BiPAC back in place and download speed increased noticeably.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

DavidCheshire wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:10 am Thanks for your quick reply, upgrade installed and working.

I now realise that the 8800NL R2 must be a later version, glad I asked before trying to upgrade with the wrong firmware!

Would I notice any benefit in terms of download speed by getting a new 8800NL R2, or any other Billion model? I thought that the connection speed was determined by the line, but I have been having some problems with my TalkTalk broadband. They sold me a new TalkTalk WiFi Hub, which wasn't very good, and then replaced it with one that was worse, so I put the BiPAC back in place and download speed increased noticeably.
I would stick with the 8800NL as the chipset is very good
DavidCheshire

Post by DavidCheshire »

Excellent, thanks.
DavidCheshire

Post by DavidCheshire »

When I am watching TV over the internet I get interruptions, e.g. on the BBC green button catch-up, the playback pauses and a circle starts going round in the middle of the screen. Sometimes it goes away quickly, occasionally it doesn't and I have to start playback again. The TV is connected to the router by cat 5e UTP cable.

I am using TalkTalk FTTC and get about 25 Mbps when everything is running OK. If I go into my TalkTalk account and run a health check it says "Our health check shows that your internet has been disconnecting recently." I assume that this means the WAN connection.

Are there any stats or logs in the BiPAC that would help to diagnose this problem? I know there are stats and logs there, I just don't know what they all mean and which might be relevant.

Under Device it says System Up-Time 11D 5H 18M 7S, but under WAN it says Connection Time 4 Day(s) 18:28:33. How long does the signal have to drop before it is counted as a disconnection?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

DavidCheshire wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:13 pm When I am watching TV over the internet I get interruptions, e.g. on the BBC green button catch-up, the playback pauses and a circle starts going round in the middle of the screen. Sometimes it goes away quickly, occasionally it doesn't and I have to start playback again. The TV is connected to the router by cat 5e UTP cable.

I am using TalkTalk FTTC and get about 25 Mbps when everything is running OK. If I go into my TalkTalk account and run a health check it says "Our health check shows that your internet has been disconnecting recently." I assume that this means the WAN connection.

Are there any stats or logs in the BiPAC that would help to diagnose this problem? I know there are stats and logs there, I just don't know what they all mean and which might be relevant.

Under Device it says System Up-Time 11D 5H 18M 7S, but under WAN it says Connection Time 4 Day(s) 18:28:33. How long does the signal have to drop before it is counted as a disconnection?
Once you login to router click on 'Status >> WAN' this will show the current PPP uptime (internet connection up time) the System UP time relates to how long the router has been powered on for.

You can also check the system log (Status >> Log >> System Log') here it will state if there has been a line drop, it will show the resync speeds (up and down speeds, which will tell you line has reconnected and at what speeds, eg Connection UP, LinkActiveStatus=0x1, US=1162000, DS=9124000