8800NL half-bridge DHCPv6 problems

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
MarkLondon

8800NL half-bridge DHCPv6 problems

Post by MarkLondon »

I'm running my 8800NL in half bridge mode, as I essentially want the 8800 to just act as much like a modem as possible and pass through the ISP given WAN addressing to the LAN side to be picked up by another device. If I enable Router Advertisments, this works as expected, but the device under the 8800 will only take addressing on DHCPv6 prefix delegation.
So leaving RA off, whatever combination of DHCPv6 options I try, I can't for the life of me get anything plugged into the 8800 to get the WAN IPv6 address. The WAN IPv4 address and DNS is passed through without any problems by the DHCPv4 service, but I'm really stumped on the DHCPv6 config. I can give details on combinations I've tried, but I think I've tried most at this point.

Any help anyone can offer here would be much appreciated, even if it's just to confirm it isn't possible, that'd be great.
Thanks
billion_fan

Re: 8800NL half-bridge DHCPv6 problems

Post by billion_fan »

MarkLondon wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:56 pm I'm running my 8800NL in half bridge mode, as I essentially want the 8800 to just act as much like a modem as possible and pass through the ISP given WAN addressing to the LAN side to be picked up by another device. If I enable Router Advertisments, this works as expected, but the device under the 8800 will only take addressing on DHCPv6 prefix delegation.
So leaving RA off, whatever combination of DHCPv6 options I try, I can't for the life of me get anything plugged into the 8800 to get the WAN IPv6 address. The WAN IPv4 address and DNS is passed through without any problems by the DHCPv4 service, but I'm really stumped on the DHCPv6 config. I can give details on combinations I've tried, but I think I've tried most at this point.

Any help anyone can offer here would be much appreciated, even if it's just to confirm it isn't possible, that'd be great.
Thanks
Try setting up the 8800NL in bridging mode, and enter your ISP credentials in LAN side device.
MarkLondon

Post by MarkLondon »

billion_fan wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:21 am ry setting up the 8800NL in bridging mode, and enter your ISP credentials in LAN side device
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the LAN side device doesn't support doing the credentials, which is why I was trying the half-bridge mode to have the Billion do the connecting. I think the LAN side device is simply expecting a v6 address via prefix delegation from the device above it, but if that is the case, I'm not sure how to configure that on the Billion, or even if that's possible.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

MarkLondon wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:47 am
billion_fan wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:21 am ry setting up the 8800NL in bridging mode, and enter your ISP credentials in LAN side device
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the LAN side device doesn't support doing the credentials, which is why I was trying the half-bridge mode to have the Billion do the connecting. I think the LAN side device is simply expecting a v6 address via prefix delegation from the device above it, but if that is the case, I'm not sure how to configure that on the Billion, or even if that's possible.
I don't think it is possible
MarkLondon

Post by MarkLondon »

oh well, thanks for the reply anyway