Bipac 8800NL WAN setup methods

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
billion_fan

Bipac 8800NL WAN setup methods

Post by billion_fan »

Setup Guides for the following setup modes can be found here - http://www.billion.uk.com/edu/VDSL2/index.html

PPP Half Bridge mode (ADSL only single WAN IP)
PPPoE Bridged mode (FTTC / VDSL)
No NAT (Network Address Translation) mode (ADSL and FTTC /VDSL)
One-to-One NAT mode
SNR tweaking

For standard home setups, please follow the UK quick start guide that comes with the device
swatboy79

Re: Bipac 8800NL WAN setup methods

Post by swatboy79 »

What are the standard settings if you want to connect to vdsl (no openreach modem) bt infinity connection and use the 8800 as the modem/router/nat/firewall etc?

Can't seem to find it in the manual. I am getting fibre in a few days and want to get info before then.

Cheers
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

swatboy79 wrote:What are the standard settings if you want to connect to vdsl (no openreach modem) bt infinity connection and use the 8800 as the modem/router/nat/firewall etc?

Can't seem to find it in the manual. I am getting fibre in a few days and want to get info before then.

Cheers
The BT setup configuration is covered within the UK quick start guide that comes with the device. (attached)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
swatboy79

Post by swatboy79 »

Awesome thanks page 11 :) Easy peasy

I had only just got the modem today and had not seen the quick start guide yet.
ChickPea

Post by ChickPea »

Is it possible to set up Multi-NAT on the Billion 8800? I have an 8-IP block, but I want to selectively forward connections on different IPs to different ports on a selection of machines.

E.g. I have several MX records, all of which actually forward to different instances of the SMTP service on the same machine.

This catches out a lot of spammers (it's a common technique to try to get into the MX chain at a lower priority in the hope that it may be less secure but trusted by the main MX machine- instead, I feed such connections to a tarpit).

I can do this on my current Draytek vigor, but we're getting fibre soon and it doesn't support VDSL.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

ChickPea wrote:Is it possible to set up Multi-NAT on the Billion 8800? I have an 8-IP block, but I want to selectively forward connections on different IPs to different ports on a selection of machines.

E.g. I have several MX records, all of which actually forward to different instances of the SMTP service on the same machine.

This catches out a lot of spammers (it's a common technique to try to get into the MX chain at a lower priority in the hope that it may be less secure but trusted by the main MX machine- instead, I feed such connections to a tarpit).

I can do this on my current Draytek vigor, but we're getting fibre soon and it doesn't support VDSL.
We have a feature called one to one NAT.

Have a look at the following thread viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3356, I have posted some examples of what the one to one NAT feature does (please note once setup the device that has a internal IP mapped to a external IP, will need a firewall, as all ports will be exposed once setup)
rarrar

Post by rarrar »

I set up all 3 interfaces on my 8800NL- ADSL2, VDSL, ethernet - before I got fibre.
Used the 8800 for ADSL2+ and it had switched to VDSL automatically before the engineer even got to the house !
MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM »

Just a little warning for those unawares - machines using IPs via One to One NAT are NOT protected by the routers firewall (it's akin to putting them in the DMZ). Am still hoping this will be corrected.
noriga

Post by noriga »

Hi
Just a quick question regarding this router.
I use this at home but I am bringing it at work as I am getting an internet performance issue through the current Firewall
We basically get an Ethernet cable hanging in our office where our fw is normally setup with a dedicated ip
Are you aware of the 8800nl being capable of connecting this way?
I have already setup a wan ip over ethernet connection and setup the dns but altough I can see the internet led lit up there is no internet coming in.
Diagnostic from the device not working, pinging outside ip addresses, actually I cannot even ping the gateway
ISP is not using any restrictions, any device can do but they could not tell if this router works with them.
I have connected a laptop directly onto this ethernet cable with static ip config as per isp instructions and it works.
Not sure what other settings are needed. Tried also a static route but not working.

Type of WAN Service selected = IP over Ethernet
Description= ipoe_eth2
802.1P Priority (left as default -1)
802.1Q VLAN ID (left as default -1)
NAT Enabled
Firewall Enabled
MTU= 1500
Fullcone NAT= Disabled
IGMP Multicast= Disabled

Should any other setting be required or this device is merely a DSL/VDSL Type of Router ?
Thanks
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

noriga wrote:Hi
Just a quick question regarding this router.
I use this at home but I am bringing it at work as I am getting an internet performance issue through the current Firewall
We basically get an Ethernet cable hanging in our office where our fw is normally setup with a dedicated ip
Are you aware of the 8800nl being capable of connecting this way?
I have already setup a wan ip over ethernet connection and setup the dns but altough I can see the internet led lit up there is no internet coming in.
Diagnostic from the device not working, pinging outside ip addresses, actually I cannot even ping the gateway
ISP is not using any restrictions, any device can do but they could not tell if this router works with them.
I have connected a laptop directly onto this ethernet cable with static ip config as per isp instructions and it works.
Not sure what other settings are needed. Tried also a static route but not working.

Type of WAN Service selected = IP over Ethernet
Description= ipoe_eth2
802.1P Priority (left as default -1)
802.1Q VLAN ID (left as default -1)
NAT Enabled
Firewall Enabled
MTU= 1500
Fullcone NAT= Disabled
IGMP Multicast= Disabled

Should any other setting be required or this device is merely a DSL/VDSL Type of Router ?
Thanks
It should work, I haven't had any reported issues, with the customers using the EWAN port in IPOE mode. (it should work with the same settings that are set on your laptop, eg WAN IP, Subnet, Gateway entered correctly)

Are you able to ping the routers WAN IP address once set, from a remote connection ?? (this should tell us if the router is live)

If you still have issues, try a factory reset and login to the router, click on 'Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Service >> Add' and manually setup the WAN again (don't for forget to tag the new WAN interface under 'Selected Default Gateway Interfaces' and 'Selected DNS Server Interfaces')