setup for Plusnet Fibre

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
Willywonker

setup for Plusnet Fibre

Post by Willywonker »

Hello,
I have my new router arriving tomorrow am and fibre being activated pm. I would like to avoid connecting the BT modem and also avoid multiply reboots of my 8000.

I would very much appreciate a heads up on setting this up on Plusnet. I read the post from the billion_fan on setting up for sky, aside from the whole username palaver that sky users have to go through. Are the settings for Plusnett the same?
Thanks for your time :)

Steps

1. Login to the router on http://192.168.1.254
2. Use the username 'admin' and password 'admin' to login
3. Click on 'Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Service'
4. Edit the profile listed under 'PTM Interface' by clicking on 'Edit'
5. Change the 'Type' to 'IP over Ethernet'
6. Set the '802.1P Priority' to '0' and the '802.1Q VLAN ID' to 101
7. Enter your extracted username and password in the 'Option 61 Client ID' section with '|' inbetween the username and password eg username@skydsl|password
8. Click on 'Apply'
Willywonker

Re: setup for Plusnet Fibre

Post by Willywonker »

Oh and should I flash latest firmware before starting anything.

Thanks
Willywonker

Post by Willywonker »

Oh and should I flash latest firmware before starting anything.

Thanks
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Willywonker wrote:Oh and should I flash latest firmware before starting anything.

Thanks
With plusnet is it the same procedure but you need to change the 'Type' to 'PPPOE' instead of 'IP Over Ethernet' and then in the username and password sections you enter your plusnet username and password, then keep following the normal steps.

1. Login to the router on http://192.168.1.254
2. Use the username 'admin' and password 'admin' to login
3. Click on 'Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Service'
4. Edit the profile listed under 'PTM Interface' by clicking on 'Edit'
5. Change the 'Type' to 'PPPOE' if needed
6. Set the '802.1P Priority' to '0' and the '802.1Q VLAN ID' to 101
7. Enter your broadband username and password in the sections provided, (eg username@plusdsl.net)
8. Click on 'Apply'

That should be it :D
Willywonker

Post by Willywonker »

Thank you for your timely response, hopefully all is good tomorrow 8-)
Will post an update from new Modem/Router tomorrow.

Thanks again :D
Martin Goose

Post by Martin Goose »

billion_fan wrote: That should be it :D
Set up my 8800 for Plusnet fibre last Sunday following the instructions on page 11 of the quick start guide (see the first locked thread on this board). Worked for me!
Willywonker

Post by Willywonker »

All was a breeze :D It appears that the 8000 has synced quicker than the BT modem.
Very very cheesed off at open reach, they had instructions to reset line after change over and supply a new modem. They didn't neither and didn't even bother coming to my address to make all was OK!
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Willywonker wrote:All was a breeze :D It appears that the 8000 has synced quicker than the BT modem.
Very very cheesed off at open reach, they had instructions to reset line after change over and supply a new modem. They didn't neither and didn't even bother coming to my address to make all was OK!
How did they expect you to use the internet if they never sent you a VDSL modem, strange practise :shock:
Willywonker

Post by Willywonker »

billion_fan wrote:
Willywonker wrote:All was a breeze :D It appears that the 8000 has synced quicker than the BT modem.
How did they expect you to use the internet if they never sent you a VDSL modem, strange practise :shock:
I guess because I switched from BT Fibre, he took it for granted that I must already of had modem. The reason for wishing a new modem was if was starting to play up (reboot)
Hence why my new 8000 has my obtainable line speed at 69 but synch at 55, the dodgy modem was 52 and dropping.
cyberpieman

Post by cyberpieman »

Willywonker wrote:I guess because I switched from BT Fibre, he took it for granted that I must already of had modem. The reason for wishing a new modem was if was starting to play up (reboot)
Hence why my new 8000 has my obtainable line speed at 69 but synch at 55, the dodgy modem was 52 and dropping.
Make sure you keep hold of the BT box - if there are ever any issues on your line they will insist that it's tested with "approved" kit to make sure it's not your fault.
Even if you tell them that you know the fault is not within the house, they will do nothing until they've sent a man out to look at it & confirm that the fault is indeed either at the cabinet or the exchange.

To be fair, this is BT not PN with their procedures that are simply designed to make sure it's anyone's fault but theirs (and PN will refund line down-time once you've proved what you already knew).