Dropping Internet (WiFi)

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
JohnG0GCD

Dropping Internet (WiFi)

Post by JohnG0GCD »

I'm not convinced that this is the router's fault but tearing my hair out and would appreciate any ideas...

Previous setup was Billion 7800DXL on ADSL2+ line, using both WiFi bands for around 20 clients and linked on 2.4G with a TP-Link TL-WA830RE to a small remote wired network. Worked stably at 11/1MBs.

Then the ISP 'upgraded' me to fibre FTTC. To smooth the transfer, I fitted their supplied Technicolor TG588v to the line and ethernet linked it to the 7800DXL. TG588v handled DHCP, 7800DXL the wireless. Started seeing the DNS dropping out, so connected devices report 'no internet'. Internal connections also failed, so I assumed that the DHCP was being confused somehow, possibly by the way I had connected the two modem routers.

After migration, the Technicolor came out and a Billion 8800AXLR2 went in, handling the VDSL2 line and both wifi bands. The 7800DXL was redeployed to act as range extender linking to the 8800 on 5GHz, serving the remote wired network and also 'repeated' 5G and 2.4G access points.

Having problems with the DNS still. Curiously, my Android has also stopped 'dropping' the wifi connection when out of range. Today, it still showed connection to my home network AP whilst 25 miles away. Rebooting the phone wifi unlocked that, and it connected to another AP correctly. On returning home, it picked up the home AP but showed 'no internet'. Again, rebooting the phone's wifi connected to the internet correctly.

Although I observed this behaviour on my phone, my wife's phone and laptop behave the same, as does my laptop; occasionally dropping the DNS randomly but always failing to pick it up when reconnecting. Once connected, the VDSL2 line runs properly at 40/5MBs (indeed the router stats show a stable connection with no resyncs).

All DHCP servers are disabled except for the 8800AXLR2.
All devices are 'static' IPs allocated by the 8800.
I think I've disabled the IPv6 allocation system.

Any ideas as to what I can try?

Thanks
John
JohnG0GCD

Re: Dropping Internet (WiFi)

Post by JohnG0GCD »

So tonight, I've tried to simplify things.
There is one PC on the remote wired that has to stay connected. I've configured a pair of TP-Link range extenders as a 2.4GHz link and connected one end to the remote PC and the other to an unused ethernet port on the 8800. I've switched off the 7800.
Will continue to monitor to see if the problem still occurs (I have to go off site tomorrow and will check to see if I connect to the DNS on return home)

Take care, stay safe
John
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

JohnG0GCD wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:41 pm So tonight, I've tried to simplify things.
There is one PC on the remote wired that has to stay connected. I've configured a pair of TP-Link range extenders as a 2.4GHz link and connected one end to the remote PC and the other to an unused ethernet port on the 8800. I've switched off the 7800.
Will continue to monitor to see if the problem still occurs (I have to go off site tomorrow and will check to see if I connect to the DNS on return home)

Take care, stay safe
John
I think a isolation test will best route, as you are doing, its the only way to pin point which devices is causing the internet to drop.
JohnG0GCD

Post by JohnG0GCD »

Thanks Billion_fan,
It seems that things are much more stable now. I'll give it a few days to make sure, then start adding bits back in.

I now worry that I might have been confusing the clients by having the same SSID/channel as a guest on the 8800 and as a guest on the 7800. My intent was to range extend but the clients are used in an area of overlap between 8800 and 7800.

Interestingly, I think that the Android issue might be due to the setting which tries to turn on WiFi when the phone is in an area that it recognises. As the phone is used with WiFi on all the time, that function is redundant and I've turned it off. The phone now correctly drops APs that it can't hear. It correctly picked up the home AP on my return (tested twice today). And the DNS!

Once I've nailed the issue down, I'll report back. Someone might find the information useful....

Thanks again
John
JohnG0GCD

Post by JohnG0GCD »

Just to close off this thread.

After a lot of investigation, trial and error, I've settled on the 'two box' WiFi solution. The TP-Link is stable and strong on 2.4GHz, the 8800 is providing VDSL and superb 5GHz performance. It's cost me cupboard space, an ethernet port and a mains socket but it works. I've used a mains plug in ethernet extender to run a 'hard wire' to the remote 7800 and turned off all bridging and linking. The 7800 AP now only serves one wireless client in that area and I have given that its own channel/SSID. Otherwise, the 7800 is working as a switch to serve the other 'remote' clients.

I've come to the conclusion that bridging and extending does work but it's inherently unstable, probably because I was asking it to perform as modem, router, link, extender and mesh.

I'm now considering handing the whole WiFi system off to a purpose made mesh solution to solve my remote sub network problems but for now, I'm enjoying stable WiFi again.

Thanks for all help.

John