802.1P Priority in WAN Settings for Talktalk Fibre

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
noriga

802.1P Priority in WAN Settings for Talktalk Fibre

Post by noriga »

Hi everyone.
I have a question over a topic I have no much knowledge about.
I have recently started using again my Billion Bipac 8800NL with a Talktalk FTTC connection after this was replaced with the Router provided by the company since I started to have some issues with UDP applications. Unfortunately when I reset the 8800 I forgot to take a screenshot of the WAN connection parameters and I have a doubt now in regards to the 802.1P Priority which nornally is set to 0 with most providers but I read in a post that with Talktalk this need to be set on a value of 2 instead. I have tried to look in the manual but I am even more confused as this tends to associate this settings to sort of application priority as in the manual "802.1P Priority: The parameter indicates the frame priority level from 0 (lowest) to 7 (highest), which can be used to prioritize different classes of traffic (voice, video, data, etc). Enter the priority identification, tagged: 0-1, untagged: -1."

First at all I wasn't aware that there was another way of prioritizing type of traffic but even if this is, what does each number associate with what type of traffic ?

Also, as I changed the parameter at least to 2 as suggested from a user, I have noticed a decrease in latency of 1-2ms and by the way I have lost 2ms by placing the 8800 back again as the Talktalk Hub gives me a steady 4-5ms ping to most UK websites.
Is there any other detail that might have affected the ping? My MTU Size is set to 1500 and I used the IP Over Ethernet connection, not the PPPoE.

I hope you can help me.
Thanks
noriga

Re: 802.1P Priority in WAN Settings for Talktalk Fibre

Post by noriga »

Ok, in the meantime I was researching and found this info from Cisco here which gives some reference to what apps get what number.
I can see that for phone/VOIP is assigned to different values depending on different VOIP or SIP although not exactly sure.

Still wondering why this slightly affects the ping and why my the router as added a 2ms latency from the ISP one

https://www.cisco.com/assets/sol/sb/SG2 ... ice06.html
802.1p.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.