8800AXL R2 as wireless bridge for Virgin Media Hub 3

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
Rainmanne

8800AXL R2 as wireless bridge for Virgin Media Hub 3

Post by Rainmanne »

I need to extend wifi from one room, where I have Virgin Media Hub 3.0 to another as it does not reach it there. I've got an old 8800AXL R2 router which I am trying to set up as a wireless bridge (I hope it is what I need) using a Powerline connection between VM Hub and Billion router. I also have a PC in the remote room connected via Ethernet.

So far I have done the following.

1. Connetrcted the hub and the router via Powerlink.
2. Set up the same SSID on both the hub and the router
3. Disable DHCP server on the router
4. Change the IP address of the router to the one outside the hub's range
5. Set up the static IP address for the PC connected to the router via Ethernet (could not connect otherwise)

The setup generally works. However, very often I cannot get an IP address from the router so I have to restart it, which is annoying.

So I guess I am missing something ion the setup to work flawlessly. I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction?
billion_fan

Re: 8800AXL R2 as wireless bridge for Virgin Media Hub 3

Post by billion_fan »

Rainmanne wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:43 am I need to extend wifi from one room, where I have Virgin Media Hub 3.0 to another as it does not reach it there. I've got an old 8800AXL R2 router which I am trying to set up as a wireless bridge (I hope it is what I need) using a Powerline connection between VM Hub and Billion router. I also have a PC in the remote room connected via Ethernet.

5. Set up the static IP address for the PC connected to the router via Ethernet (could not connect otherwise)

The setup generally works. However, very often I cannot get an IP address from the router so I have to restart it, which is annoying.

So I guess I am missing something ion the setup to work flawlessly. I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction?
Setup sounds fine to me, power line linking the devices together via Ethernet, DHCP off on the Billion, LAN IP address changed to avoid a conflict.

Very strange you can't obtain a IP address from Virgin router, as the DHCP is turned off on the Billion, also even more strange is you setup a static IP on the PC, so it should not need to obtain a IP address from the DHCP.

Next time the issue occurs try disabling and re-enabling the LAN card on the PC (in the remote room), if that fails try power cycling the powerline adapter
Rainmanne

Post by Rainmanne »

billion_fan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:11 am
Rainmanne wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:43 am I need to extend wifi from one room, where I have Virgin Media Hub 3.0 to another as it does not reach it there. I've got an old 8800AXL R2 router which I am trying to set up as a wireless bridge (I hope it is what I need) using a Powerline connection between VM Hub and Billion router. I also have a PC in the remote room connected via Ethernet.

Setup sounds fine to me, power line linking the devices together via Ethernet, DHCP off on the Billion, LAN IP address changed to avoid a conflict.

Very strange you can't obtain a IP address from Virgin router, as the DHCP is turned off on the Billion, also even more strange is you setup a static IP on the PC, so it should not need to obtain a IP address from the DHCP.

Next time the issue occurs try disabling and re-enabling the LAN card on the PC (in the remote room), if that fails try power cycling the powerline adapter
Thanks a lot. I more concerned with the wifi connection. I will try to reset the powerline to see if it will fix it.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Rainmanne wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:40 am
billion_fan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:11 am

Thanks a lot. I more concerned with the wifi connection. I will try to reset the powerline to see if it will fix it.
Another option will be to setup the routers WAN for a Ethernet connection (IPoE) and plug your hub to the EWAN port on the Billion (red port) if you don't mind running double NAT that is, and see if the connection becomes more stable (the Billion's LAN will have to be on a different subnet for this EWAN setup eg Billion 192.168.0.1, Super hub - 192.168.1.254)

Also make sure both powerline adapters are not plugged into a extension cable (eg 4 pin extension), they should be plugged directly to the mains socket
Rainmanne

Post by Rainmanne »

Sorry, didn't have time to do it until now. How can I configure WAN for IPoE?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Rainmanne wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:52 pm Sorry, didn't have time to do it until now. How can I configure WAN for IPoE?
Please make sure both routers are on a different IP address eg Billion - 192.168.0.1, Virgin Super Hub - 192.168.1.254

1. Login to the router
2. Click on 'Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Service'
3. Click on the 'Add' button
4. Change the 'WAN Port' to 'Ethernet'
5. Set the 'Type' to 'IP Over Ethernet (IPoE)
6. Click on 'Next'
7. Under the 'Available Routed WAN Interfaces' you will see your new 'ipoe_eth4' interface, click on it to select it and click on the arrow pointing left so the new IPoE interface should be listed under 'Selected Default Gateway Interfaces'
8. Do the same for the DNS options below, click on the 'ipoe_eth4' interface listed below 'Available WAN Interfaces' and click on the arrow pointing left so the IPoE interface should be listed below 'Selected DNS Server Interfaces
9. Click on 'Next'
10. Plug a Ethernet connection from your virgin super hub to the EWAN port (red Ethernet port)
Rainmanne

Post by Rainmanne »

billion_fan wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:18 pm
Rainmanne wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:52 pm Sorry, didn't have time to do it until now. How can I configure WAN for IPoE?
Please make sure both routers are on a different IP address eg Billion - 192.168.0.1, Virgin Super Hub - 192.168.1.254

1. Login to the router
2. Click on 'Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Service'
3. Click on the 'Add' button
4. Change the 'WAN Port' to 'Ethernet'
5. Set the 'Type' to 'IP Over Ethernet (IPoE)
6. Click on 'Next'
7. Under the 'Available Routed WAN Interfaces' you will see your new 'ipoe_eth4' interface, click on it to select it and click on the arrow pointing left so the new IPoE interface should be listed under 'Selected Default Gateway Interfaces'
8. Do the same for the DNS options below, click on the 'ipoe_eth4' interface listed below 'Available WAN Interfaces' and click on the arrow pointing left so the IPoE interface should be listed below 'Selected DNS Server Interfaces
9. Click on 'Next'
10. Plug a Ethernet connection from your virgin super hub to the EWAN port (red Ethernet port)
Thanks a lot for the instruction! I will do it and report back.