Bipac 8800 NL R2 setting IpV4 LAN IP address - admin lockout!

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
goldbug101

Bipac 8800 NL R2 setting IpV4 LAN IP address - admin lockout!

Post by goldbug101 »

HI all.

Just bought a new Bipac 8800 NL R2 to replace our trusty little 8800 NL that gave us no trouble until I did a factory reset on it a few days ago, after which it refused to connect to our ISP, Plusnet, after years of faithful service and despite two hours on the phone with Plusnet's very patient tech support.

An inexpensive TP Link router I bought to replace it set up and connected ok, but the wireless signal would drop out regularly, so back to Argos it goes.

Just taken delivery of the Bipac 8800 NL R2 today and it seems very similar to its predecessor and connected to Plusnet ok, until I tried to give it an IP address. I have always done this on our home LAN, not least because it reminds me of the office LAN where I worked many years ago and I liked its simplicity. I also like being able to assign IP addresses to things like the printer, Network Attached Storage and wireless access point, which makes them easier to set up and manage. The admin menu of the router looks quite geeky and complicated but I tried the LAN configuration page, where the setting under Parameters is Group Name I blithely changed the IP address to the one I wanted (192.168.18.10) and applied it. After this the admin fell over and further attempts to connect to my chosen address to get back into the admin page failed. With the TP Link router I was also able to assign a fixed IP address to the router itself, as well as an access point I bought a few days ago - also TP Link. WIth the new router now supposedly stuck with 192.168.1.254 I can no longer connect to the access point, so I can change its WLAN ID. Eeeek!

Finally, some years ago I applied a setting tweak to our old BIllion router to make it try and negotiate higher line speeds. It seemed to work well and I would like to try it again if anyone can remember what to do> Thanks.

Thanks for wading through this post and for any comments or suggestions - much appreciated.
billion_fan

Re: Bipac 8800 NL R2 setting IpV4 LAN IP address - admin lockout!

Post by billion_fan »

goldbug101 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:47 pm HI all.

Just bought a new Bipac 8800 NL R2 to replace our trusty little 8800 NL that gave us no trouble until I did a factory reset on it a few days ago, after which it refused to connect to our ISP, Plusnet, after years of faithful service and despite two hours on the phone with Plusnet's very patient tech support.

An inexpensive TP Link router I bought to replace it set up and connected ok, but the wireless signal would drop out regularly, so back to Argos it goes.

Just taken delivery of the Bipac 8800 NL R2 today and it seems very similar to its predecessor and connected to Plusnet ok, until I tried to give it an IP address. I have always done this on our home LAN, not least because it reminds me of the office LAN where I worked many years ago and I liked its simplicity. I also like being able to assign IP addresses to things like the printer, Network Attached Storage and wireless access point, which makes them easier to set up and manage. The admin menu of the router looks quite geeky and complicated but I tried the LAN configuration page, where the setting under Parameters is Group Name I blithely changed the IP address to the one I wanted (192.168.18.10) and applied it. After this the admin fell over and further attempts to connect to my chosen address to get back into the admin page failed. With the TP Link router I was also able to assign a fixed IP address to the router itself, as well as an access point I bought a few days ago - also TP Link. WIth the new router now supposedly stuck with 192.168.1.254 I can no longer connect to the access point, so I can change its WLAN ID. Eeeek!

Finally, some years ago I applied a setting tweak to our old BIllion router to make it try and negotiate higher line speeds. It seemed to work well and I would like to try it again if anyone can remember what to do> Thanks.

Thanks for wading through this post and for any comments or suggestions - much appreciated.
Support ticket received and reply sent.