BiPAC 8900AX(L)-2400 - Questions from a new Billion user

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
dalyboy

Re: BiPAC 8900AX(L)-2400 - Questions from a new Billion user

Post by dalyboy »

OK I haven't been able set up to log to a syslog server yet, but attached are two more log files.

The first one, 20190627_2143 was when I checked the 'System Log' as soon as I noticed a internet connection issue - I was using the internet at time but once it stopped working I went to check the log. What I noted were the 'openVPN' logs that coincided with the time I noticed the connection issue.
router_log_20190627_2143.pdf
The second one, 20190628_0730 was upon noticing the internet was down again when waking up this morning. I checked the logs again, what I noticed this time was no logs were being written after 0654 am (so about 35 minutes when checked), the last set of logs written were 'openVPN' related.
router_log_20190628_0730.pdf

I don't know if the logs are normal or if there is a possible issue with my openVPN server config., so screenshot of that below.
Screenshot 2019-06-28 at 08.01.54.jpg
Also I don't know whether having a syslog server would provide any more detail, as currently the mode is set to 'Debugging'.

Thanks,

dalyboy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

dalyboy wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:02 am OK I haven't been able set up to log to a syslog server yet, but attached are two more log files.

The first one, 20190627_2143 was when I checked the 'System Log' as soon as I noticed a internet connection issue - I was using the internet at time but once it stopped working I went to check the log. What I noted were the 'openVPN' logs that coincided with the time I noticed the connection issue.

router_log_20190627_2143.pdf

The second one, 20190628_0730 was upon noticing the internet was down again when waking up this morning. I checked the logs again, what I noticed this time was no logs were being written after 0654 am (so about 35 minutes when checked), the last set of logs written were 'openVPN' related.

router_log_20190628_0730.pdf

I don't know if the logs are normal or if there is a possible issue with my openVPN server config., so screenshot of that below.

Screenshot 2019-06-28 at 08.01.54.jpg

Also I don't know whether having a syslog server would provide any more detail, as currently the mode is set to 'Debugging'.

Thanks,

dalyboy
Do me a favour disable the Open VPN server for me, as all I can see on the logs is Ethernet connection and Open VPN logs.

I want to see if the open VPN server is what is causing the issue, as the logs don't show a drop in the internet connection or a PPP disconnection or any type of lock up, as the router is still accessible locally

If there is no issue after at least 4 days try changing the open vpn settings to the attached settings I use for on my 2400, (for the WAN interface select your WAN interface)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dalyboy

Post by dalyboy »

Hi,

Ok I'll disable the VPN server today. Will feedback in a few days.

Thanks,

dalyboy
dalyboy

Post by dalyboy »

An update on this as I realised I hadn't provided any feedback yet...

Unfortunately I've been working away so I haven't been able to 'scientifically' prove anything yet. As I need to use the VPN server feature of my router whilst away I have taken the VPN setting from billion_fan and applied these for now as a starting point; overall things do 'seem' more stable. The VPN connection was possible for 2+ weeks, when back at the property where the router is located I did notice some internet disconnects (1-2 a week approx., current uptime is 1day 17+ hours) that were resolved by a router restart.

However I'm not sure whether these internet disconnects are due to Sky broadband as I've noticed similar internet disconnects at another address where Sky is also the supplier but the Sky hub is used as the router there.

Will try to monitor and provide a further over the coming weeks.

Thanks,

dalyboy
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

dalyboy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:36 am An update on this as I realised I hadn't provided any feedback yet...

Unfortunately I've been working away so I haven't been able to 'scientifically' prove anything yet. As I need to use the VPN server feature of my router whilst away I have taken the VPN setting from billion_fan and applied these for now as a starting point; overall things do 'seem' more stable. The VPN connection was possible for 2+ weeks, when back at the property where the router is located I did notice some internet disconnects (1-2 a week approx., current uptime is 1day 17+ hours) that were resolved by a router restart.

However I'm not sure whether these internet disconnects are due to Sky broadband as I've noticed similar internet disconnects at another address where Sky is also the supplier but the Sky hub is used as the router there.

Will try to monitor and provide a further over the coming weeks.

Thanks,

dalyboy
Will need to see the logs after the router has disconnected, you shouldn't have to restart the router as it should automatically reconnect once disconnected. eg line drop or PPP disconnection
dalyboy

Post by dalyboy »

Ok so finally in a position to feedback more on this...

I actually tried things in reverse in that I adopted the updated VPN settings first for a couple of months - this was because I was working away and needed the VPN to at least be ‘semi-operational’. I have turned off the VPN server since last week.

With the updated VPN settings I still experienced connection dropouts; probably a couple a week.

With the VPN server turned off I haven’t experienced any connection dropouts for over 10 days now.

I’m not 100% sure if this means the OpenVPN server is/was the cause but ideally I need the VPN to function without causing the disconnections.

I’m currently using firmware/software version 2.52.d34, could it be worth updating to a later version? If one is available.

Thanks,

dalyboy
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

dalyboy wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:35 pm Ok so finally in a position to feedback more on this...

I actually tried things in reverse in that I adopted the updated VPN settings first for a couple of months - this was because I was working away and needed the VPN to at least be ‘semi-operational’. I have turned off the VPN server since last week.

With the updated VPN settings I still experienced connection dropouts; probably a couple a week.

With the VPN server turned off I haven’t experienced any connection dropouts for over 10 days now.

I’m not 100% sure if this means the OpenVPN server is/was the cause but ideally I need the VPN to function without causing the disconnections.

I’m currently using firmware/software version 2.52.d34, could it be worth updating to a later version? If one is available.

Thanks,

dalyboy
You can try a firmware update attached, I haven't had any reports of dropouts when the open VPN server is enabled so this is a strange one, if you can grab a copy of the system log from the device after a disconnection that will be great :)
dalyboy

Post by dalyboy »

Hi,

Apologies for not updating sooner. I had a number of related changes going on which weren't originally expected/planned but meant I needed to let things settle before feeding back. Since the last exchange of messages I have changed internet service provider from Sky to Vodafone, changed homeplugs (used to connect router to NAS) from Devolo to tpLink and updated the router's firmware to the version provided (2.52.d36). So basically lots of change :)

Good news is the router has not required a reboot for over 39 days, 18 hours (at time of post). The WAN connection itself has disconnected but has reconnected without any intervention from myself - so I haven't 'experienced' any outages as such. The NAS remains reachable when not at home since the last router reboot.

Unfortunately whilst I can't confirm the cause I now have a suspicion that my previous homeplugs may have caused (or at least contributed to!) the issues I was experiencing. I don't know why but often when working away my NAS drive would become unreachable after a few weeks with the previous homeplug lights blinking red. I would have to power off the sockets the homeplugs were connected to (i.e. pretty much powering off everything), in order to reestablish a connection to the NAS. The homeplugs in question were Devolo dLAN 1200 Triple+ (purchased June 2019).

I will re-enable the VPN (using the settings provided earlier in this thread) but hopefully it should work now, and look forward getting good use from the router's features.

Thanks for your help.

dalyboy
DouglasAgony

BiPAC 8900AXL 2400 Questions from a new Billion user

Post by DouglasAgony »

Well thanks for your replies. I really just need a starting point and you have both supplied that. I am sure that fairly soon I will have better and more interesting or at least specific questions. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I am looking forward to learning about SBCs.