Nord VPN and Open VPN Link Not Establishing

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
minimos

Nord VPN and Open VPN Link Not Establishing

Post by minimos »

Hi,

I have recently purchased a 8900AX2400 with firmware 2.52.d36 out of the box.

Please can someone help me setup an OpenVPN client connection to Nord VPN. I have tried setting up both an L2TP and OpenVPN connection but all I get is the option to connect in the status menu,, there is a brief wait on the router when clicking the button and then it refreshes the page and shows not connected.

I believe L2TP may no longer be supported by Nord, but I have also tried manually entering OpenVPN details and importing an .opvn file of both udp and tcp, but the result is the same, a profile is setup that does not actually connect

I have set the logging level to debug but no information is written to the router log indicate what is going on.

Thanks in advance
OpenVPNConfig.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billion_fan

Re: Nord VPN and Open VPN Link Not Establishing

Post by billion_fan »

minimos wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:09 am Hi,

I have recently purchased a 8900AX2400 with firmware 2.52.d36 out of the box.

Please can someone help me setup an OpenVPN client connection to Nord VPN. I have tried setting up both an L2TP and OpenVPN connection but all I get is the option to connect in the status menu,, there is a brief wait on the router when clicking the button and then it refreshes the page and shows not connected.

I believe L2TP may no longer be supported by Nord, but I have also tried manually entering OpenVPN details and importing an .opvn file of both udp and tcp, but the result is the same, a profile is setup that does not actually connect

I have set the logging level to debug but no information is written to the router log indicate what is going on.

Thanks in advance

OpenVPNConfig.jpg
Try following the attached guide, you can only use (you can only use TCP tunnels, UDP are not supported)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
minimos

Post by minimos »

Hi,

I have followed that guide from another post on the forum, but have given it another go but still get the same results.

The log now shows an error.

Sep 3 10:25:26 daemon notice openvpn[10037]: OpenVPN 2.3.1 mips-brcm-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [EPOLL] [eurephia] [MH] [IPv6] built on Jan 3 2019
Sep 3 10:25:26 daemon err openvpn[10037]: Error reading username and password (must be on two consecutive lines) from Auth authfile: /var/easy-rsa/ckeys/uk729nordvp
Sep 3 10:25:26 daemon notice openvpn[10037]: Exiting due to fatal error

I know the password and username are correct as they work on other devices and are copied from a password manager. I have noticed though that the password field is always blank if you view the OpenVPN client setting page, no matter how many times you enter it and apply.

Thanks
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

minimos wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:40 am Hi,

I have followed that guide from another post on the forum, but have given it another go but still get the same results.

The log now shows an error.

Sep 3 10:25:26 daemon notice openvpn[10037]: OpenVPN 2.3.1 mips-brcm-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [EPOLL] [eurephia] [MH] [IPv6] built on Jan 3 2019
Sep 3 10:25:26 daemon err openvpn[10037]: Error reading username and password (must be on two consecutive lines) from Auth authfile: /var/easy-rsa/ckeys/uk729nordvp
Sep 3 10:25:26 daemon notice openvpn[10037]: Exiting due to fatal error

I know the password and username are correct as they work on other devices and are copied from a password manager. I have noticed though that the password field is always blank if you view the OpenVPN client setting page, no matter how many times you enter it and apply.

Thanks
Just tested it here and its working, I am using the nord tunnel to write this post (2.52.d36)

Attached is the .ovpn file I used

Also the password field should always show as dots, try using another web browser to setup your tunnel
minimos

Post by minimos »

Hi,

Using the setting file you provided did not fix the issue either unfortunately, however I believe I know the root cause after trying to setup in Chrome rather than Firefox as per your suggestion.

It was not working as the password had special characters in the string. I noticed that when pasting the password into the field using Chrome it popped a dialog complaining about an invalid password when clicking Edit/Delete to submit the changes which it did not do in Firefox.

I updated my Nord password to 30 characters without specials and it connected first time.

I believe this needs fixing as the password should accept special characters.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

minimos wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:29 pm Hi,

Using the setting file you provided did not fix the issue either unfortunately, however I believe I know the root cause after trying to setup in Chrome rather than Firefox as per your suggestion.

It was not working as the password had special characters in the string. I noticed that when pasting the password into the field using Chrome it popped a dialog complaining about an invalid password when clicking Edit/Delete to submit the changes which it did not do in Firefox.

I updated my Nord password to 30 characters without specials and it connected first time.

I believe this needs fixing as the password should accept special characters.
Can you provide me with a example of the special characters were using (please be specific, so I can get our engineers to look into this)
minimos

Post by minimos »

Hi,

Unfortunately as I use a password manager, I have overwritten the old value. However when using the generating options I un-selected specials which as an example on the app shows things like !, $, %, & etc.

There was another option of Brackets which only included [.],{.},(,),<,>, but I never have that option selected when generating passwords.

I also do not use spaces, minus or underscore in my passwords or any of the High ANSI values

Cheers