Facebook Live Audio Stream Buffering

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
Knuckleheadz

Facebook Live Audio Stream Buffering

Post by Knuckleheadz »

Hi there,

I have a Billion 8900AX-1600 that is connected to a MacBookPro via a Wired connection so that I get a consitant bandwidth for video/audio.... or so I thought!

However when I create a Facebook Live stream the audio buffers every 2-3 seconds, even on LAN.

As a test I tethered my iPhone to my MBP over 4G and ran another Live Stream and had no dropouts at all.

Speedtest back on the LAN is 75mb down and 17mb up and I can play YouTube videos on the Mac without it buffering, although I appreciate that is download.

Is there anything on the router that I can either look at or set that might improve the situation?
Knuckleheadz

Re: Facebook Live Audio Stream Buffering

Post by Knuckleheadz »

I did also read about BufferBloat and ran a DSL Speed Test which unfortunately doesn't seem to want to give the the final results of Quality, BufferBloat, Quality and Speed... But what I did see was a lot fo very regular "BufferBloat spikes" up to 200ms every 2-3 seconds which might point at the problem?

Would enabling QoS on the router for the IP of my laptop help? I'm not sure how to configure it though so if the answer is yes then I'd need some help please :)
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Knuckleheadz wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:16 pm I did also read about BufferBloat and ran a DSL Speed Test which unfortunately doesn't seem to want to give the the final results of Quality, BufferBloat, Quality and Speed... But what I did see was a lot fo very regular "BufferBloat spikes" up to 200ms every 2-3 seconds which might point at the problem?

Would enabling QoS on the router for the IP of my laptop help? I'm not sure how to configure it though so if the answer is yes then I'd need some help please :)
Try setting up the following rule, there is no point setting it up for only your laptop as other devices on the network might be taking up all the bandwidth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Knuckleheadz

Post by Knuckleheadz »

Morning billion_fan,

Thanks for the quick reply this morning, I really appreciate it... you know when something is eating away at you and you just want to get it fixed??!?! ...well I was up at 6am this morning trying different things and I set a rule very simialr to the one you posted but it still had no affect.

However, I thin tried my work PC... Live Stream was 100% fine over my WiFi, so that isolated the problem to my Mac Book Pro, I then created a new Profile on my Mac and tested Live Streaming, again this was completely fine too...

So somewhere in my profile I obviously have an app that is interrupting the audio stream to the web. I don't have AV so I know it's not that, but now it's just a case of turning things off to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks again for the reply... :)