5g and Modem only operation

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
slostuk

5g and Modem only operation

Post by slostuk »

Recently (with lock down and the kids being at home) the 5g band has been taking a pasting. It’s always been a little a flakey if we a honest. The 5g band would just stop, the led on the router would go out, sometimes a could login and switch the 5g off and back on again, but sometimes doing this would cause the GUI to hang completely requiring a reboot.

I have now purchased a Wifi 6 router and would like to continue to use the 8900 as a modem only, a assume this is possible! Is it difficult to configure that mode of operation.
billion_fan

Re: 5g and Modem only operation

Post by billion_fan »

slostuk wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:56 pm Recently (with lock down and the kids being at home) the 5g band has been taking a pasting. It’s always been a little a flakey if we a honest. The 5g band would just stop, the led on the router would go out, sometimes a could login and switch the 5g off and back on again, but sometimes doing this would cause the GUI to hang completely requiring a reboot.

I have now purchased a Wifi 6 router and would like to continue to use the 8900 as a modem only, a assume this is possible! Is it difficult to configure that mode of operation.
All you need to do is change your current WAN profile's type to 'Bridging' and apply.

If you are on a ADSL connection you need to change the ATM interface, if your using a VDSL connection change the PTM interface.

Once done configure your wifi 6 routers WAN (Ethernet WAN) for a PPPoE connection with your broadband username and password entered.

You can also disable the DHCP server on the Billion if needed (Configuration >> LAN >> Ethernet)
slostuk

Re: 5g and Modem only operation

Post by slostuk »

Thanks, in which menu can I change the WAN profile, do I need to delete my WAN connections ? Do you sell a stand alone VDSL modem, I really like the 8900-2400; it’s the best router I have ever owned and the VDSL modem, on my line, syncs 3/4 Mbps faster than anything else that I have tried.