Bipac 8900 firmware update has broken my IP Address!

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
dgaulBillion

Bipac 8900 firmware update has broken my IP Address!

Post by dgaulBillion »

Attempted firmware update yesterday on my 2year old 8900. During update, lost internet (anticipated as part of update/restart). Shortly after, tried to access admin UI to check status. No access! Now unable to browse or ping 192.168.1.254.! Several restarts - no fix.!
Still getting out to internet, although "internet" light on front of Billion not active and speed test returned half normal speed.!
Network properties now show Billion with an IP address of 101.181.255.254..!!!
Ran several factory default resets. No fix. Same dodgy IP address, slow internet and no access to UI (on either addresses.!).
Direct cabling from PC to Billion (isolated from internet) provided 192.168.1.254, which allowed me to access UI and re-install latest firmware (2.52 d27). Updated successfully, plugged Billion back into internet modem, same issue..!!!
Note. Backup "cheaper" router connecting fine and providing correct IP addressing.
Any advice appreciated.
billion_fan

Re: Bipac 8900 firmware update has broken my IP Address!

Post by billion_fan »

dgaulBillion wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:39 am Attempted firmware update yesterday on my 2year old 8900. During update, lost internet (anticipated as part of update/restart). Shortly after, tried to access admin UI to check status. No access! Now unable to browse or ping 192.168.1.254.! Several restarts - no fix.!
Still getting out to internet, although "internet" light on front of Billion not active and speed test returned half normal speed.!
Network properties now show Billion with an IP address of 101.181.255.254..!!!
Ran several factory default resets. No fix. Same dodgy IP address, slow internet and no access to UI (on either addresses.!).
Direct cabling from PC to Billion (isolated from internet) provided 192.168.1.254, which allowed me to access UI and re-install latest firmware (2.52 d27). Updated successfully, plugged Billion back into internet modem, same issue..!!!
Note. Backup "cheaper" router connecting fine and providing correct IP addressing.
Any advice appreciated.
Sound like the internet modem is providing you with this 101.181.255.254. (as when the modem is disconnected, you get a correct IP address from the Billion, so it sounds like there must be DHCP server running somewhere, which is overriding the Billion's DHCP server)

What modem are you connecting too?

The way I would do it is the following (don't restart the Billion during this process)

1. Isolate the network again, leaving only 1 PC connected to the 8900, no modem
2. Setup the Billion for internet access via the Ethernet port, depending on your ISP it should be either IPoE or PPPoE Ethernet connection
3. Once done, plug your modem to the EWAN port (fifth Ethernet port)
4. Check to see if the internet LED is lit
5. If it is, try and browse the internet
6. Everything should be fine from there.
dgaulBillion

Re: Bipac 8900 firmware update has broken my IP Address!

Post by dgaulBillion »

Thanks billion_fan.
We seemed to have corrected the problem, although we can't explain why it happened..!!
The attempted firmware update looked to have resulted in the "Main Port" setting on the "Quick Start" page defaulting to "DSL" instead of "Ethernet"..! This incorrect setting was looking to make my router believe it was a modem & router, instead of a single router sitting BEHIND the existing modem..! This may have explained the IP Address being allocated down from what looked like my internet provider, as well as no Ethernet light..! I'm surprised it was still allowing me to get out to the internet..!
Once we gained access to the 1.254 UI (direct cable PC to router), and changed this setting to Ethernet, all came good..!!
I may have thought that several factory resets may have returned this setting to Ethernet, but that "unknown" will be added to my ever growing list of "WHY DID THAT HAPPEN".!
Thanks again.