BiPAC 8900AX R2 - Sky Ultra Fibre FTTP

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
Knuckleheadz

BiPAC 8900AX R2 - Sky Ultra Fibre FTTP

Post by Knuckleheadz »

Hi,

I realise that this query might need more information as I don't know how the new Sky Fibre Ultra FTTP is actually delivered but in a normal configuration would my BiPAC 8900AX-1600 R2 support their new service?

I assume BT Openreach will need to provision Fibre to my property (as FTTP suggests) and whether there is then a BT modem that converts that to Cat5 for my WAN Port.

I don't know if you have either any insight into how Sky implement this service or how similar ISPs provision FTTP.

Thanks!
Jon
billion_fan

Re: BiPAC 8900AX R2 - Sky Ultra Fibre FTTP

Post by billion_fan »

Knuckleheadz wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:51 am Hi,

I realise that this query might need more information as I don't know how the new Sky Fibre Ultra FTTP is actually delivered but in a normal configuration would my BiPAC 8900AX-1600 R2 support their new service?

I assume BT Openreach will need to provision Fibre to my property (as FTTP suggests) and whether there is then a BT modem that converts that to Cat5 for my WAN Port.

I don't know if you have either any insight into how Sky implement this service or how similar ISPs provision FTTP.

Thanks!
Jon
For the setup with the 8900AX-1600 it will be definitely a Ethernet connection either PPPoE or IPOE (option 61 Client ID might be needed)
I don't have much info on a FTTP Sky setup so if you can post your finding here, that will also help others
Knuckleheadz

Re: BiPAC 8900AX R2 - Sky Ultra Fibre FTTP

Post by Knuckleheadz »

Thanks for the quick reply.

So I already have Sky Fibre which is currently configured with my 8900AX-1600 and you're right it does need Option 61 for authentication to Sky's Radius Servers. Currently it must be PPPoE as I need to enter my credentials, but whether than changes with Ultra, I don't know.

Unfortunately Sky Ultra Fibre isn't rolled out to many areas of the UK so information seems to be limited.

I asked on the SkyUser Forum what BT Openreach provision at the property as well as what difference there is in the new Sky Router that Sky provide but I've had lots of reads but no replies. :(

I'll keep hunting.