Vodafone Fibre Broadband

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
Knuckleheadz

Vodafone Fibre Broadband

Post by Knuckleheadz »

Hi
I have a BX8900AX R2 1600
Do you know if the UK Vodafone Superfast Fibre service can be run through my router?
My friend sent me a photo of the Vodafone Router which has a WAN port (CAT5) that is connected to the fibre box mounted on the internal wall of his house, then out to the fibre in the road.
I believe I can ask Vodafone for my username & password and they do acknowledge that 3rd Party routers can be used but will not support them where there is a fault, which is fine.
If you could let me know that would be great.
Thanks
Jon
billion_fan

Re: Vodafone Fibre Broadband

Post by billion_fan »

Knuckleheadz wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:08 pm Hi
I have a BX8900AX R2 1600
Do you know if the UK Vodafone Superfast Fibre service can be run through my router?
My friend sent me a photo of the Vodafone Router which has a WAN port (CAT5) that is connected to the fibre box mounted on the internal wall of his house, then out to the fibre in the road.
I believe I can ask Vodafone for my username & password and they do acknowledge that 3rd Party routers can be used but will not support them where there is a fault, which is fine.
If you could let me know that would be great.
Thanks
Jon
Yes you can configure the device for Ethernet WAN connection if needed, so it will be ETH >>> PPPoE connection with your Vodafone username and password entered, then connect a Ethernet cable from the EWAN port on the 8900AX-1600R2 to the fibre box, that should be it.

To add a Ethernet WAN connection follow the steps below

1. Login to the router
2. Click on 'Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Service'
3. Click on the 'Add' button
4. Change the 'WAN Port' to 'Ethernet'
5. Set the 'Type' to 'PPP Over Ethernet (PPPoE) and enter your Vodafone username and password in the sections provided
6. Click on 'Next'
7. Under the 'Available Routed WAN Interfaces' you will see your new 'pppoe_eth' interface, click on it to select it and click on the arrow pointing left so the new pppoe interface should be listed under 'Selected Default Gateway Interfaces'
8. Do the same for the DNS options below, click on the 'pppoe_eth' interface listed below 'Available WAN Interfaces' and click on the arrow pointing left so the pppoe interface should be listed below 'Selected DNS Server Interfaces
9. Click on 'Next'
10. Now plug a Ethernet connection from the EWAN port on the 8900 to the Fibre box (fibre modem)

That should be it :D
Knuckleheadz

Post by Knuckleheadz »

Awesome!! Thanks Billionn_Fan.... apologies for the late reply :)
Knuckleheadz

Post by Knuckleheadz »

For others in the UK wanting to do this there is some additional configuration.

Users of the SUPERFAST Service need to add VLAN ID: 101 and 802.1p (Priority): 0
Users of the GIGAFAST Service need to add VLAN ID: 911 and 802.1p (Priority): 0 (although some have mentioned "2" as an alternative)

Works like a dream :)
harry66

Post by harry66 »

Hi @Knuckleheadz
can you please advise where you discovered the extra config params such VLAN ID etc?
Thanks