Ethernet Setting Help Please

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
Radiocrazy

Ethernet Setting Help Please

Post by Radiocrazy »

Hi can anyone help with the settings to use in the Billions WAN Service settings for connecting the Billions Ethernet connection to another routers LAN which is used to connect to the internet, for a brief explanation why, is the first router will have nothing connected to its LAN except the Billion so it’s IP address can be anything, I have had limited success using IP over Ethernet but I suspect something is not correct as it connects intermittently, the Billions internet LED is on but no through put.
The Billion will be the main router and WiFi etc.
Many thanks
billion_fan

Re: Ethernet Setting Help Please

Post by billion_fan »

Radiocrazy wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:13 pm Hi can anyone help with the settings to use in the Billions WAN Service settings for connecting the Billions Ethernet connection to another routers LAN which is used to connect to the internet, for a brief explanation why, is the first router will have nothing connected to its LAN except the Billion so it’s IP address can be anything, I have had limited success using IP over Ethernet but I suspect something is not correct as it connects intermittently, the Billions internet LED is on but no through put.
The Billion will be the main router and WiFi etc.
Many thanks

First make sure both routers are running on a different subnet eg Billion - 192.168.1.x , Internet Router - 192.168.0.x

1. Login to the router
2. Click on 'Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Service'
3. Click on the 'Add' button
4. Change the 'WAN Port' to 'Ethernet'
5. Set the 'Type' to IP over Ethernet (IPOE)
6. Click on 'Next'
7. Under the 'Available Routed WAN Interfaces' you will see your new 'IPoE' interface, click on it to select it and click on the arrow pointing left so the new 'IPoE' interface should be listed under 'Selected Default Gateway Interfaces'
8. Do the same for the DNS options below, click on the 'IPoE' interface listed below 'Available WAN Interfaces' and click on the arrow pointing left so the 'IPoE' interface should be listed below 'Selected DNS Server Interfaces
9. Click on 'Next'
10. Now plug a Ethernet connection from the EWAN port on the 8900 to the main router running the internet connection
Radiocrazy

Post by Radiocrazy »

Many thanks I will try that later, the 1st router is connected to a DSL modem that works but I would like the main network protected by the Billion for the obvious reason it’s a good bit of kit.
Just to change the subject if the boffins when they do an update would it be possible to have the LAN MAC address list all in capitals and the I.P in numerical order eg 192.167.1.100 then 192.168.1 101 it looks much neater and easier to find the address, I have done this already but I need to edit the config file every time, and great care needs to be taken not to mess up, it would be a nice touch. Most other routers do this.
Thanks, by the way on the latest firmware works fine.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Radiocrazy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:49 pm Many thanks I will try that later, the 1st router is connected to a DSL modem that works but I would like the main network protected by the Billion for the obvious reason it’s a good bit of kit.
Just to change the subject if the boffins when they do an update would it be possible to have the LAN MAC address list all in capitals and the I.P in numerical order eg 192.167.1.100 then 192.168.1 101 it looks much neater and easier to find the address, I have done this already but I need to edit the config file every time, and great care needs to be taken not to mess up, it would be a nice touch. Most other routers do this.
Thanks, by the way on the latest firmware works fine.
Do you mean the DHCP list?? (listed in numerical order with the MAC in capitals)
Radiocrazy

Post by Radiocrazy »

Yes that’s correct.
One last thing going back to my original question can the 1sts routers gui be accessed from the billion say it’s 192.168.3 1 would 192.168.3.1:8080/ work
Thanks
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Radiocrazy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:42 pm Yes that’s correct.
One last thing going back to my original question can the 1sts routers gui be accessed from the billion say it’s 192.168.3 1 would 192.168.3.1:8080/ work
Thanks
Regarding the DHCP list, listed numerical order with the MAC in capitals, I don't think that can be done, as this is standard BCM code

Regarding access to your internet router, you should be able to on 192.168.3.1 for example, as the Billion is using a IPOE connection (it when using a PPPoE connection that you have issues)
Radiocrazy

Post by Radiocrazy »

OK sham about the DHCP list, but thanks for the help on the second router it needed a restart on both routers to work.