Post by billion_fan »

Try using the attached firmware

Zcomax8900X-R3_2.52.d14_0323.afw

http://gofile.me/3XbRY/jvtG49CmP

This firmware should resolve the dongle connectivity issues
boomer

Re: 8900X R3: 3G modem won't connect

Post by boomer »

Hi billion_fan. Thank you for providing the patched firmware. I did some testing on it today and it seems the patch is working at the moment for the E3251. The E176 however still hangs when a reconnection is requested, as on UK f/w 2.50a.d15 and AU f/w 2.52.d1. The E3251 also hangs occasionally on the latter two, so I'm not holding my breath with the fix. The E176G is the most basic of 3G modems by Huawei, so I find it odd that it wouldn't be fully operable as well. The modem itself appears to be in good working condition and will connect, disconnect and reconnect consistently on my PC using Huawei dashboard software, as will the E3251. I also have a Huawei E3131 but it's not with me at the moment, so I'm unable to test it. I've produced some log files for your engineers' perusal and attached them to this post. Maybe they can make some improvements so both the E176G and E3251 are fully supported, without hanging during dialup.

A new quirk has appeared in f/w 2.52.d14: 3G/4G LTE interface cannot be added to Selected Default Gateway Interfaces under Advanced Setup > Routing > Default Gateway. Also, a nondescript usb0 interface appears in the list of interfaces in the settings for 3G/4G/LTE Interface under WAN > WAN Service. This bug is not present on AU f/w 2.52.d1 which I'm currently using: The list of available interfaces is identical in both Advanced Setup > Routing > Default Gateway and 3G/4G/LTE Interface settings. 3G/4G LTE can also be added to Selected Default Gateway Interfaces under Advanced Setup > Routing > Default Gateway. Screenshots of the 2.52.d14 f/w below.

UPnP port forwarding is unfortunately also defunct on the patched firmware. This is working on both UK f/w 2.50a.d15 and AU f/w 2.52.d1. It goes without saying one would expect this feature not to be broken in newer firmware.

Many thanks for your support.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by boomer on Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

I'll pass your comments to our engineers, I'll test the UPNP function with xbox series x tonight :)

Regarding the 3G/4G interface not being able to be selected under 'Selected Default Gateway Interfaces' this will move over once the 3G/4G interface is up (tested working)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boomer

Post by boomer »

Hi. Thanks for the screenshots. For whatever reason, the 3G/4G/LTE interface won't move into the Selected Default Gateway Interfaces list in my case, whether automatically or manually, even once the connection is up. Why a usb0 interface appears in the list is also a mystery to me.
Last edited by boomer on Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Just tested it again here, and it seems to working as our engineers suggested. See the latest screen captures (not sure why your dongles won't switch over to selected default gateway interfaces, but if the connection is working you should be fine)

Once I get more feedback from our engineers regarding the other dongles and the USB0 interface I will update you in due course.

UPNP test will be done tonight once I get home from work, I'll update you tomorrow
boomer

Post by boomer »

My external WAN interface appears under the name ppp1.1 as opposed to eth4.1 in your screenshot. This is not a name that can be edited. Also, Selected WAN Interface appears as EWAN/ppp1.1 rather than ipoe_eth4/eth4.1 when IPv6 is enabled. I couldn't help but notice that. The descriptor eth4 seems odd since EWAN is on port 5, not 4. Could we be dealing with different hardware revisions of the same device?
boomer

Post by boomer »

Ok, after some more testing it seems the 3G/4G LTE interface can only be added to the Selected Default Gateway Interfaces list after ppp1.1 is removed from the list first. Only then will any traffic pass through it. If I add ppp1.1 back to the list, 3G/4G LTE gets bumped off back into Available Routed WAN Interfaces. This precludes its use as a backup interface. It's clearly a bug. Also, the E3251 modem will hang during reconnection to my dismay. Status remains stuck in the Connecting state under Status > WAN. The main WAN connection also becomes defunct in this state. The only way to recover the modem is to unplug it and plug it back in.

The firmware is regrettably unusable to me in its current state.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

boomer wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:02 pm Ok, after some more testing it seems the 3G/4G LTE interface can only be added to the Selected Default Gateway Interfaces list after ppp1.1 is removed from the list first. Only then will any traffic pass through it. If I add ppp1.1 back to the list, 3G/4G LTE gets bumped off back into Available Routed WAN Interfaces. This precludes its use as a backup interface. It's clearly a bug. Also, the E3251 modem will hang during reconnection to my dismay. Status remains stuck in the Connecting state under Status > WAN. The main WAN connection also becomes defunct in this state. The only way to recover the modem is to unplug it and plug it back in.

The firmware is regrettably unusable to me in its current state.
My tests were performed from the UK version I posted (I can't comment on AU/global firmwares, you will have contact you local regional support for that),

I added a new EWAN >> IPoE connection for use at home, its working as it should. (I am not sure why your EWAN connection is shown as ppp.1)

The name of the interface eth4 it based off broadcoms code, within the code Ethernet port 1 = eth0 Ethernet port 2 = eth1 etc this does not impact the function of the WAN (again based off the UK firmware)

Regarding the Selected default gateway interfaces I first disabled 'Dial on Demand' this keeps the interface up, but not in use, and both interfaces are shown under selected default gateway interfaces. (If I disable the 'Dial on Demand under the 3G/4G LTE interface, the WAN status changes to 'Failover / Disable' and the interface is moved back under Available Routed WAN Interfaces)

Only when the 3G/LTE interface is up and connected with a WAN IP, will it move over to Selected Default Gateway Interfaces.

Regarding the hanging on reconnection, if this based off a non UK firmware, please submit a email to support@billion.com.

Attached is also is the dongle compatibility list for your reference.

Engineers are still checking logs you submitted, I'll provide feedback in due course.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Regarding UPNP all is working, see attached screen shots from the test with the Xbox Series X
boomer

Post by boomer »

Hi billion_fan. Thank you for the 3G modem compatibility list, much appreciated. This is a good reference which I couldn't find on the UK support site. FYI all the tests I performed and respective screenshots are using the firmware you attached (Zcomax8900X-R3_2.52.d14_0323.afw). I assume this is UK firmware so we should be on the same page, yet my EWAN connection shows up as ppp1.1 on my 8900X R3 (see the status page below). Regarding the connectivity issue with this connection, it seems it's the mysterious usb0 device in the gateway list which actually controls the 3G/4G LTE interface. Moving it or 3G/4G/LTE Interface from one section to the other will make it disappear completely from both lists. In other words, as long as usb0 remains in the list, there will be a route to the 3G/4G/LTE interface. 3G/4G/LTE Interface does not move into Selected Default Gateway Interfaces when the modem connects as you describe, but at least it works and I get an internet connection over it. BTW the mysterious usb0 device will reappear after a reboot should one make it disappear by mistake.
Untitled-Captured-01.jpg
Untitled-Captured-02.jpg
Untitled-Captured-03.jpg
Last edited by boomer on Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.