8900X R3: 3G modem won't connect

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
boomer

Re: 8900X R3: 3G modem won't connect

Post by boomer »

Regarding UPnP, I did not know one could see the list of configured ports under Configuration > NAT > Virtual Servers - this used to be under Status > UPnP on the 4702GX. I can confirm that the software I've been testing with appears in the list, but it does not show up when accessed under Windows (right click on Windows Explorer > Network > BiPAC 8900X R3, then Settings). A connection test also reveals that a connection cannot be made from the internet, see screenshots. Have you done a connection test from the internet, e.g. via canyouseeme.org, to see if UPnP will actually open any ports? The ports appear on the router's list but don't actually work. I can confirm that UPnP port forwarding is in working order on UK f/w 2.50a.d15. Please conduct an internet-side test and confirm to me that this is actually working with f/w 2.52.d14_0323 on your end.
Untitled-Captured-04.jpg
Untitled-Captured-05.jpg
Untitled-Captured-06.jpg
Thank you for all your efforts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boomer

Post by boomer »

Apologies, it seems UPnP port forwarding is working after all on f/w 2.52.d14_0323 according to the connection test. Strangely though the open ports don't show up in Windows Explorer. Here's the same screenshot using UK f/w 2.50a.d15:
Untitled-Captured-07.jpg
It seems UPnP is not handled in a standard way on f/w 2.52.d14_0323.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

boomer wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:54 pm Regarding UPnP, I did not know one could see the list of configured ports under Configuration > NAT > Virtual Servers - this used to be under Status > UPnP on the 4702GX. I can confirm that the software I've been testing with appears in the list, but it does not show up when accessed under Windows (right click on Windows Explorer > Network > BiPAC 8900X R3, then Settings). A connection test also reveals that a connection cannot be made from the internet, see screenshots. Have you done a connection test from the internet, e.g. via canyouseeme.org, to see if UPnP will actually open any ports? The ports appear on the router's list but don't actually work. I can confirm that UPnP port forwarding is in working order on UK f/w 2.50a.d15. Please conduct an internet-side test and confirm to me that this is actually working with f/w 2.52.d14_0323 on your end.

Untitled-Captured-04.jpg
Untitled-Captured-05.jpg
Untitled-Captured-06.jpg

Thank you for all your efforts.
I performed a NAT test on the Xbox and NAT type showed as Open which means the port is open. (If the port was not open the test would of returned with the NAT type as Moderate/Strict)

Below is a test off the 8900X-R3 running off our office line (VDSL) with Shareaza installed on a PC, port shows as open.

Not sure why under windows it does not show as open, it seems it only shows the ports open manually.
boomer

Post by boomer »

Precisely. UPnP Tester http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=dstools#upnptest is not able to retrieve the port forwarding entries either. Whichever way you slice it, the firmware needs improvement, esp. regarding the 3G/4G LTE interface and mystery usb0 interface issue. I can confirm the 3G/4G LTE interface can be moved normally between the interface lists on UK f/w 2.50a.d15 and there's no mystery usb0 interface.

Thanks again for your time and effort.

PS You can select Connection Test in Shareaza's Help menu which will open the connection test page. This will test for both TCP and UDP connectivity.
Last edited by boomer on Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

boomer wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:51 pm Hi billion_fan. Thank you for the 3G modem compatibility list, much appreciated. This is a good reference which I couldn't find on the UK support site. FYI all the tests I performed and respective screenshots are using the firmware you attached (Zcomax8900X-R3_2.52.d14_0323.afw). I assume this is UK firmware so we should be on the same page, yet my EWAN connection shows up as ppp1.1 on my 8900X R3 (see the status page below). Regarding the connectivity issue with this connection, it seems it's the mysterious usb0 device in the gateway list which actually controls the 3G/4G LTE interface. Moving it or 3G/4G/LTE Interface from one section to the other will make it disappear completely from both lists. In other words, as long as usb0 remains in the list, there will be a route to the 3G/4G/LTE interface. 3G/4G/LTE Interface does not move into Selected Default Gateway Interfaces when the modem connects as you describe, but at least it works and I get an internet connection over it. BTW the mysterious usb0 device will reappear after a reboot should one make it disappear by mistake.

Untitled-Captured-01.jpg
Untitled-Captured-02.jpg
Untitled-Captured-03.jpg
Your WAN shows as ppp.1 as you have a Ethernet >> PPPoE connection, I have a Ethernet >> IPoE (we got to the bottom of that one lol)

Attached is a video from my test,

I start with the Ethernet >> IPoE set as the main interface, (3G/LTE interface not selected under selected default gateway interfaces as not connected yet and still left on failover/dial on demand mode)

I release the IP for the Ethernet WAN

3G/LTE interface kicks in and obtains a IP (failover mode)

Check under Routing and the 3G/LTE is listed under Selected default gateway interfaces

I then renew the IP for the main Ethernet WAN, the 3G/LTE interface then disconnects and then I check the routing table and see the 3G/LTE has moved back under 'Available WAN' interfaces

Maybe some of dongles react different, but as long as route to internet is available it should be fine,
boomer

Post by boomer »

Yes, very strange that it doesn't work that way on my 8900X R3. I'm using PPPoE rather than IPoE on my EWAN but this shouldn't make a difference - it does however seem to explain the discrepancy between the ppp1.1 designation vs your eth4.1 from your earlier screenshot. None of this of course explains the elusive usb0 interface on the 3G/4G LTE Interface settings page.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

boomer wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:25 pm Precisely. UPnP Tester http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=dstools#upnptest is not able to retrieve the port forwarding entries either. Whichever way you slice it, the firmware needs improvement, esp. regarding the 3G/4G LTE interface and mystery usb0 interface issue. I can confirm the 3G/4G LTE interface can be moved normally between the interface lists on UK f/w 2.50a.d15 and there's no mystery usb0 interface.

Thanks again for your time and effort.

PS You can select Connection Test in Shareaza's Help menu which will open the connection test page. This will test for both TCP and UDP connectivity.
I'll check about the usb0 interface, but I can't replicate the selected 3G/4G LTE under available WAN interfaces as shown on the video.

I'll also mention UPNP on windows machine not showing under Network > BiPAC 8900X R3 >> Settings, (but at least its working for now)
boomer

Post by boomer »

Thanks, billion_fan. BTW I did some testing on UK f/w 2.50a.d15 and I can confirm the 3G/4G LTE interface (named USB3G0 in f/w 2.50a.d15) will be moved automatically from Available Routed WAN Interfaces to Selected Default Gateway Interfaces when the modem connects, but only if L3 WAN Failover is enabled, with ppp1.1 as the master interface and USB3G0 as the slave interface. Also, regarding UPnP, the ability to view, edit, add and delete port entries without going through the router's web interface is particularly useful for removing hanging entries, which happens when software shuts down without closing ports first.

Cheers.
Last edited by boomer on Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
boomer

Post by boomer »

Apologies about the info on UPnP Tester. On second testing it is in fact able to retrieve the port mapping entries:
Untitled-Captured-08.jpg
Interesting that this is not accessible over File Explorer with 2.52 firmware. It is with 2.50a. The things one discovers :)
boomer

Post by boomer »

Concerning the 3G modem reconnection issue, I discovered in the meantime that connection management seems to be handled differently when Dial on demand is enabled under the 3G/4G/LTE Interface settings vs. when it's not. In the first case the modem will reconnect, in the second it will not. Some screenshots:

Case A: Dial on demand enabled: Modem reconnects
Untitled-Captured-09.jpg
Untitled-Captured-10.jpg
Last edited by boomer on Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.