Port Forwarding Novice

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
billion42cb

Port Forwarding Novice

Post by billion42cb »

Router: Billion 8900AX(L)-2400

I'm trying to provide access to a PVR on my Billion router network, which is in turn attached to the internet via a separate ISP-provided router. Will I need to change the settings in the ISP router to achieve this?

Thanks for any help.
billion_fan

Re: Port Forwarding Novice

Post by billion_fan »

billion42cb wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:28 am Router: Billion 8900AX(L)-2400

I'm trying to provide access to a PVR on my Billion router network, which is in turn attached to the internet via a separate ISP-provided router. Will I need to change the settings in the ISP router to achieve this?

Thanks for any help.
It depends if you have a public IP or private IP, assigned on the Billion.

If your Billion is assigned a public IP by the ISP router then you can setup virtual server rules (port forwarding) within the Billion

If your Billion is assigned a private IP, you will have DMZ the IP address provided to the Billion, on the ISP router, then setup the virtual server rules (port forwarding) on the Billion

Attached is guide on how to setup a virtual server rules on the Billion (the key is to make sure you select the correct interface when adding the rule)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billion42cb

Post by billion42cb »

Many thanks for your prompt and helpful reply. I have a Fritz!7530 provided by Zen. It doesn't explicitly support DMZ, but states that their 'Exposed Host' function provides the same capability. Are you familiar with this?

Thanks again
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

billion42cb wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:51 pm Many thanks for your prompt and helpful reply. I have a Fritz!7530 provided by Zen. It doesn't explicitly support DMZ, but states that their 'Exposed Host' function provides the same capability. Are you familiar with this?

Thanks again
I'm not familiar with Fritz box, but if it does the same function then it should be fine :D
billion42cb

Post by billion42cb »

As far as I can tell, the Fritz 'Exposed Host' seemed to provide the DMZ-like function OK. Your example was very helpful in completing the Virtual Server entry.

I was a bit confused that I got a message stating that each of my port numbers was replicated to avoid a conflict - e.g. SSH port 22 was renamed to 2222. Does this have any practical significance? The port forwarding target is listening on port 22.

Thanks again.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

billion42cb wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:20 am As far as I can tell, the Fritz 'Exposed Host' seemed to provide the DMZ-like function OK. Your example was very helpful in completing the Virtual Server entry.

I was a bit confused that I got a message stating that each of my port numbers was replicated to avoid a conflict - e.g. SSH port 22 was renamed to 2222. Does this have any practical significance? The port forwarding target is listening on port 22.

Thanks again.
The SSH port changing is for SSH access to the router remotely, as you have forwarded port 22 to a device, the router can't use port 22 for a remote SSH connection so it has changed the routers SSH port to 2222.
billion42cb

Post by billion42cb »

Many thanks for your help. All now working satisfactorily.